Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm going to get the Glo soon. I'm still on the PRS-T1. I read through this whole topic and I would like to know if there is actually any need to create these shelves or is this just a function to have more comfort? The only think I would want to do is, sending all my books to the Glo with Calibre and have them sorted like they are now on my T1: From A to Z. Is that possible or does it require more work?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't know the Kobo-Firmware.
Shelves aren't compulsory. If you don't want to use them, don't configure them in the driver.

The library list on the Glo defaults to sorting by title. But, it can be sorted by author, book type and "Recent reads".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also, nothing says you can't use shelves and still see the overall list of all books sorted by title. Just because a book is on a shelf does not remove it from the books on device listing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadelia View Post
Thank you for your answer !

They are the same books, I only use Calibre to send the books to the Kobo (which was previously empty).
I've got this on the plugboard :
Code:
 {series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}
with : epub/any device (instead of "Kobo", because it didn't work)
I previously used this plugboard to display series titles on my Sony PRS-T1, and I had to put "any device" instead of "Kobo" to make it work with my Kobo.
I don't know how/what to change in the plugboard, so I sent the books again, deconnect, reconnect to Calibre, and the same books are unmarked, they are all series, but some series are marked normally both in Calibre and Kobo
That should work and is what I use for my plugboard. What do you have the save template set to?

The only other thing I can see at the moment is that the titles on the device list are the sort_titles. Mine setup doesn't, but there might be a preference or tweak somewhere that I can't find right now.

I'll have a think and play.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David; I have also been seeing "flip flopping" of books on the device view; flip flopping between being marked as being in the library or not, and also, the titles flipping between being the original name, unprocessed via a plugboard, and the new "massaged" name.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #35
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The simple reasons I can think of for empty shelves not being removed are that metadata management is not set to automatic
This might be the reason.
I turned it off again because I thought this might be the reason for the slowness when connecting to Calibre...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
This might be the reason.
I turned it off again because I thought this might be the reason for the slowness when connecting to Calibre...
Well, it sort of is. During the automatic sync, the driver is fetching the state of all the books on the device and in the library, comparing it and then updating the shelves as appropriate. One bit of that is horrible and I need to revisit it to see if I can speed it up. But, with shelf management configured, it will never be as fast as the old driver.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #37
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Shelves aren't compulsory. If you don't want to use them, don't configure them in the driver.

The library list on the Glo defaults to sorting by title. But, it can be sorted by author, book type and "Recent reads".
Ok, thanks for explaining that!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #38
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just posting to say thanks for the new driver - it's really great!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I just finished updating my Calibre version to 0.9.1 and my Kobo Touch to 2.0 (2.1 not yet offered unfortunately), and I have a question about preserving reading position in books.

Before the 0.9.1 update I was on 0.8.64, and Calibre would always report a Database Error when connecting to the KT, and it would not list the KT contents. But after a restart it would in fact list the books on the KT and allow books to be transferred to main memory. After the update to 0.9.1, the Database Error no longer appeared (new driver I guess), and I was able to identify all the books on the KT which were not already in my Calibre library and transfer them before doing a Factory Reset and update on the KT.

I thought Calibre would preserve my current position in the epub book I was reading on the KT after this backup and update, but it doesn't. I can't remember if I've ever tried that before, so maybe I'm wrong. Is it supposed to?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I just finished updating my Calibre version to 0.9.1 and my Kobo Touch to 2.0 (2.1 not yet offered unfortunately), and I have a question about preserving reading position in books.

Before the 0.9.1 update I was on 0.8.64, and Calibre would always report a Database Error when connecting to the KT, and it would not list the KT contents. But after a restart it would in fact list the books on the KT and allow books to be transferred to main memory. After the update to 0.9.1, the Database Error no longer appeared (new driver I guess), and I was able to identify all the books on the KT which were not already in my Calibre library and transfer them before doing a Factory Reset and update on the KT.
If the "database error" was the message about the new versions of the Kobo firmware, then the new driver fixed it. If there was an actual error reading the database, that isn't likely to have been fixed unless you did a factory reset of the device.
Quote:
I thought Calibre would preserve my current position in the epub book I was reading on the KT after this backup and update, but it doesn't. I can't remember if I've ever tried that before, so maybe I'm wrong. Is it supposed to?
The reading position on the device is maintained on the device. The driver makes no attempt to change or back this up. I can think of only one way to lose the reading with the new driver. This would be if you use calibre to delete the book from the device and then send it back to the device. This is the same as using the device to delete the book and then connecting to the PC and putting it back onto the device. If you have another circumstance where it happens, please tell me and I will look at what is going wrong.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #41
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Probably the Database Error that Calibre reported when connecting to my Kobo Touch was just due to the standard version compatibility issue, although I know my KT database did have some errors (e.g., those Kobo Reading Awards messages all popped up saying "Congratulations, you have won Unknown Award"). That was why I did a complete backup of the books on the device and then a Factory Reset. I was thinking for some reason that Calibre would save and restore the reading position in an epub book backed up from the KT.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@FJames: I believe that the original Kobo driver had the ability to SAVE the reading position to calibre, however, that was done by embedding the data within the metadata comment section. There was no support for restoring that to the Kobo, and what's more, I don't think David carried that feature forward to the new driver.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@FJames: I believe that the original Kobo driver had the ability to SAVE the reading position to calibre, however, that was done by embedding the data within the metadata comment section. There was no support for restoring that to the Kobo, and what's more, I don't think David carried that feature forward to the new driver.
No, I didn't touch it. It should work exactly as before. But, a quick test, tells me there is a problem. It worked for most of the books, but had an error with one of the dates. I'll have a look and fix it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #44
Frieda
Frieda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (RIP), Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura One
Oh, thank you for this! I'm thrilled that I can now use my Kobo more or less the same way I used to use my 505 -- I was really hating the difficulty of using tags/shelves. So far, so good!
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #45
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I am not sure how to do this on Kobo. I think on the Sony readers with the series tag and number entered, calibre would list the first book on the series on the top so you would always know the ordering.

How do you do this on Kobo? For example, I have a shelf called Harry Potter but how do I make sure that Philosopher Stone is on the top of the list in the shelf?

I don't want to rename each book since in Calibre, I have the series tag and the book number already done.

Thanks for the help.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo