Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2024, 01:27 PM   #76
Aylfllough
Aylfllough began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable 2
How faithfully do Foliate and Kybooks adhere to CSS? While overrides are acceptable, they should honor the CSS if no overrides are applied.
Aylfllough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:37 PM   #77
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Just discovered BookFusion and Yomu. I've tested them both on my iPad mini. Both have a pleasing appearance, as do a number of other readers. When it comes to PDFs, however, both have a limitation. Sometimes, if you scan a document into PDF, you have "watermarks" on the digital pages, which then get in the way of reading clearly. GoodReader allows you to remove these watermarks. Many reading apps do not. Adding the ability to remove watermarks would be a big plus.

Secondly, in trying ePubs, BookFusion sometimes crashes when I tap a footnote number in the text, sometimes not. I tried the same eBooks in other readers (such as Yomu and Books) and did not have that issue. Most readers take you to the page where the footnote is located. I like readers that make the footnote appear in a popup window on the page I am reading at the moment. Moon Reader and Kindle do this.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 05:39 AM   #78
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
My analysis of iOS viewers for epub+pdf

Bookfusion has been decent. They need to improve the epub experience in various ways like inline footnote functionality (as opposed to endnote jump). One should also be able to directly annotate selected text, defaulting to the last used highlight type, default default yellow highlight -- presently annotating anything requires selecting the text, highlighting, selecting the highlight, and selecting annotate -- that extra click can throw off workflow heavily.

Given the expense, I expect the developers to improve along these lines soon. If that doesn't happen, the price isn't right.

Pocketbook is quite good in features. Interface seems less responsive than it ought to be though compared to these others, and seems to be calibrated a little weirdly, on iPad Air and Pro.

Have found the PDFs look quite good on iOS tablet screens though and browsing is smooth even with larger documents. And their cloud works great.

It would be nice for PDF text to have some alternatives to interpret lineation (e.g. between default text as given, text with line breaks, text with 1 white space between words only) and epub viewing will always improve with CSS toggle options.

Yomu is elegant -- except the unfortunate lack of being able to do anything with text or annotations when it's a PDF, regardless of whether the PDF has text or not. Hopefully they finish up and add the function. I rate this unusable but if the function is added it might be an A+.

Kindle would be good if they hadn't direly nerfed custom documents in general. ��

Have not yet tried GoodReader, MapleRead.

Most other apps = bad.

Last edited by graatch; 04-19-2024 at 05:43 AM.
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:41 AM   #79
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Most readers take you to the page where the footnote is located. I like readers that make the footnote appear in a popup window on the page I am reading at the moment. Moon Reader and Kindle do this.
I am also looking for this important function, and I put in a feature request to the developers on the bookfusion subreddit, which they acknowledged. Hopefully it gets added.
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote