Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
efimero
efimero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
PRS 500: A PROBLEM WITH THE FIRMWARE 1.0.03.07170. SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME?.

Hello!.

I have had a problem to upgrade my Prs 500 with the firmware
1.0.03.07170, in the half of the update the firmware failed and
my Prs 500 is broken, the message when I startup it is:
"Updating firmware now....", I have tried to install the firmware
again but the firmware is still failing. I dont know how to repair
my Prs 500. Somebody can help me please?.
efimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't have a 500 and only recently purchased a 505 but I've had the same "Updating Firmware" screen that wouldn't go away. I recalled reading at some point that re-setting the reader 10 plus times would cause it to revert back to the original firmware (or previous firmware... one of those).

In my case I used a paper clip in the reset hole on the back of the reader and moved the power slider on the top of the reader to the right. The reader would restart and show the same message. I did the same reset over and over and over and eventually, it went right back to the previous firmware.

You could try doing the equivalent with the 500. Be patient. Sit down and watch a half hour sitcom while you do your re-setting. It will take your mind off the monotony.

Good luck.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
I don't have a 500 and only recently purchased a 505 but I've had the same "Updating Firmware" screen that wouldn't go away. I recalled reading at some point that re-setting the reader 10 plus times would cause it to revert back to the original firmware (or previous firmware... one of those).
Actually not revert, but fall into firmware update mode.
As far as I remember, "Updating Firmware" is exactly the message one sees, when device is in recovery mode.

There could be many reasons why update fails. I would try redownloading firmware installer or even trying older versions.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
efimero
efimero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello.

The problem is that I have not older firmware and I dont know somebody
that have it. I have tryed to install the same firmware, but I have the same
error in the half of the instalation.

Thanks.
efimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe Igorsk's Flasher for the 500 is what you need. Maybe it contains a copy of the old firmware.

Quote:
So here it is. From the readme:
Quote:
This set of scripts allows to flash a custom image or replace any files inside
the /opt directory of the Reader filesystem using just a flash card. The /opt
directory contains the main Reader UI and supporting files.
Possible uses include:
1) rolling back to an older firmware version
2) customizing the UI look and behavior
3) replacing/adding built-in fonts
As an example, provided xml files add a configurable clock display in the
status bar of the navigation menus and book reader.
Version 1.2: support for firmware version 1.0.02.01300
Version 2.1 with support for firmware version 1.0.03.07170.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert