Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
laverdure
laverdure began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o
Angry epub3 javascript in Kobo

Hello
I am trying to develo a stupid epub, but a problem arised I cannot solve.
May be someone faced it.

I composed an epub3 using Sigil, with a single HTML page, like this :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title></title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function myFun(k) {
this.item = k;
}
</script>
</head>

<body>
<div id="number_one">
const c = new myFun("test");
document.getElementById("number_one").innerHTML = c.item;
</script>
</div>
</body>
</html>

it works fine on any reader I checked, and also on Kobo devices (Aura and Libra).

If I try to use an external file for the function, like this:

xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title></title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../Misc/Script0001.js"></script>
</head>

<body>
<div id="number_one">
const c = new myFun(" test 01 : from external file");
document.getElementById("number_one").innerHTML = c.item;
</script>
</div>
</body>
</html>

and script Script0001.js :

function myFun(k) {
this.item = k;
}

it works on Thorium, on Adobe Digital, on Sigil previewer but DON'T work on Kobo.

Of course I checked opf, mimetype, etc, etc.
I never got errors, epub checkers say it's fine, but no way.
Could someone help me?
Thanks a lot
laverdure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The question that comes to mind is if you sent it to your Kobo as a .kepub.epub to trigger the WebKit based renderer. If you send it as an epub, you will use the Adobe RMSDK renderer which is more limited on what it will accept.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2023, 02:34 AM   #3
laverdure

Thanks for your answer.
I forgot to state that I made both the tryes.
I used 3 or 4 different tools to translate in kepub (calibre, kepubify, etc.), and the result was always the same of epub: no way!
Old 07-15-2023, 01:19 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Shouldn't your second test use:

Quote:
<script type="text/javascript" src="../Misc/Script0001.js" />
as this is XML and <script> is an empty element?

Is Script0001.js in the manifest? If you're using Sigil I'd expect it to keeping that up-to-date.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:25 AM   #5
laverdure

Yes, the file is in the manifest.
I didn’t understand where I should use that script row, sorry.
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 02:48 AM   #6
laverdure

Hi Chrisridd
I finally got what you said, and I made a try, but the result didn't change.
Thank you for the correction.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:44 AM   #7
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo's a bit ambiguous about their Javascript support on e-ink.

Here it says there's limited support: https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...script-support

But here it says it isn't supported at all: https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec#support-grid
Old 07-17-2023, 06:36 AM   #8
laverdure

Yes, I read that document.
As you can see from my little test, it seems than javascript is supported and working, but it is not if functions are in external files.
I can't undenrstand, external files for fonts and styles are read correctly, so external files js should be read as well...
Old 07-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
I can't undenrstand, external files for fonts and styles are read correctly, so external files js should be read as well...
JS is very dangerous compared to fonts and styles. It's a good decision that separate files are not supported and a bad one that an ereader supports javascript at all. At the least there should be an on /off setting that by default is off.
Really only non-ereader apps should execute programs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:16 AM   #10
laverdure

Thumbs up

If someone is interested, I found a way for executing javascript from extern files.
Don't ask me why or what, but I saw that if the epub contains MINIFIED js files, it works correctly on Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch and Kobo Libra.
I made some test on the same epub I posted at the beginning, and on some other file, and the result is OK: if js file is minified it works on Kobo.

Last edited by laverdure; 07-17-2023 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 07-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #11
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
if js file is minified it works on Kobo.
Perhaps the file was slightly malformed originally, and minifying has handled that and produced valid output? I have no idea otherwise!

Tags
epub3, javascript, kobo