Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #106
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The sorts of people who do go out and purchase an eink reader after having researched it or do the research without a purchase are the types that would notice.
Most of us here are the type who looked around and researched our ebook readers. I've been waiting for a reading device that I really liked off and on since I first heard about the Rocketbook years ago. I think the Kindle owners here are likely most in that kind of mode. It's probably how we all found MobileRead. I don't know if that's indicative of the average Kindle owner out there in the wild. After all, they generated a lot of buzz and sales by plastering it on the front page of Amazon.com for a long time. There were many people who'd never heard of such a thing as an ebook reader until then.

That's why I made the comment about iPod and iTunes. Most of us that owned digital audio players before that were pretty geekish, or at least geek-friendly. iPod brought them to the non-geeks. I'd be interested to know how many Kindle owners have thought much about DRM, the tower of e-babel or digital publishing issues in general. Most iFans I know didn't until they tried to do something they thought they should be able to do with the songs they "owned" and realized they couldn't. I doubt most of them would think twice about it if iTunes had an exclusive track no one else had.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #107
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
http://terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11745

Post number 18.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I got banned for suggesting a boycott on Terry's books until the exclusivity was sort out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #109
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I got banned for suggesting a boycott on Terry's books until the exclusivity was sort out.
*shocking* !! banned from a fan forum for suggesting a boycott ??
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #110
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
*shocking* !! banned from a fan forum for suggesting a boycott ??
Shocking indeed! You would think that they would have made him president of the forum. Fan forums are sure not like they used to be.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Not knowing how long the exclusive contract lasts is so wrong. That shows Terry doesn't really care about his readers.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #112
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

or possibly, it shows he doesn't care about ebooks, which he doesn't have to do and which we knew already (and a boycott is probably not the best way to change that), or perhaps that (like many creative types) he doesn't have much of a head for administrative stuff.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
or possibly, it shows he doesn't care about ebooks, which he doesn't have to do and which we knew already (and a boycott is probably not the best way to change that), or perhaps that (like many creative types) he doesn't have much of a head for administrative stuff.
if you hit people in the wallet, they learn fast what it is they've done wrong to cause this. So yes, a boycott would get Terry to understand eBooks and why his exclusive deal is a really bad idea. if he finds that because of going eBook exclusive with Amazon stops sales of ALL of his work in ALL formats then he would go back and have a look and see what he can do to get out of the contract and fast. In fact, I'd think he'd be weary of anything exclusive ever again.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #114
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not knowing how long the exclusive contract lasts is so wrong. That shows Terry doesn't really care about his readers.
Or it possibly shows he has an agent for these matters. I have to say I find your rather draconian viewpoints increasingly divorced from reality. You're not only a broken record, but a broken record of a particularly annoying song. Step back, take a deep breath, and talk about something else for awhile? Working on any new e-book uploads?

Quote:
if he finds that because of going eBook exclusive with Amazon stops sales of ALL of his work in ALL formats
Remember that thing called "reality" I just alluded to?

For some reason the Beatle's "Revolution" is running through my head.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #115
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Now that makes sense. I'm glad it's going to work out for everyone interested.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #116
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Me too, if Rosetta indeed pursues further editions. I don't see why they wouldn't, as they have the e-book rights.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #117
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Thanks ! I wish he was more specific. Here's hoping it's 3 months instead of 6, but I'm glad to hear it's not long term. I figured it was really unlikely it was permanent. I don't think that would've made very good sense to Rosetta.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #118
Zedd
Enthusiast
Zedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
Yes, I banned you fro coming to my site and being an idiot. Taylor514ce came with a question and was polite the entire time. You come to the authors site, which he pays for by the way, and talk about boycotting his books.

Quote:
OR it could be he has a TV show in the works, is workign on writing a new book for a new publisher with a deadline, was on his way t eat and just did not have the paperwork in front of him. Also, as others have stated, he does have an agent to handle the negotiations. Heknew it was a limited restricted deal. That answered the question people wanted. Be happy he and I took the freaking time to answer the questionin the first place.

Quote:
if you hit people in the wallet, they learn fast what it is they've done wrong to cause this. So yes, a boycott would get Terry to understand eBooks and why his exclusive deal is a really bad idea. if he finds that because of going eBook exclusive with Amazon stops sales of ALL of his work in ALL formats then he would go back and have a look and see what he can do to get out of the contract and fast. In fact, I'd think he'd be weary of anything exclusive ever again.
You are a bit delusional. Do you really think people are going to boycott his books because you say so? Because he had the nerve to have a limited exclusive deal for an e-book.

Also, from what I can tell have no idea about how e-books get sold. You have no idea why Terry went the route he did. He had very good reasons. There are so many things that go on behind the scenes in the publishing world. You really have no idea what you are talking about. All you are doing is throwing a fit because you did not get what you wanted, when you wanted it.

I appologize to the rest of this community, but I am tired of hearign this guy talk about things when he has no idea what he is talking about.
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #119
zelda_pinwheel

hi zedd, and welcome ! we are very glad you stopped by and we really appreciate your taking the time to give us this information direct from the source, and Terry taking time out of his busy schedule to repsond to our query.

i hope you'll take a look around here ; there is an amazing wealth of ressources and plenty of people to answer any questions you might have, and we also have an amazing library of free e-books (click "e-books" in the blue navigation bar at the top of the page) which have been painstakingly hand-formatted by our members, if you want to see what the fuss is about. you might also check out the wiki which has (among other great ressources) a comparison matrix of the different devices available for reading ebooks.

cheers !
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #120
Zedd
Enthusiast
Zedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
thank you for the welcome.

I for one am glad you all have an interest in Terry's books. One of the reasons amazon went after Terry is that his books are one of the most requested out there to be in e-book format.

Yes, I know some do not like the limited exclusivity deal, but there are many god reasons for it. Not all of which I can go into, but advertising was one. They had a very good and agresive marketign plan for the book while they have it.

Also Terry was impressed with the device itself when amazon came and showed it to him.

I am sure the other devices are good too, but you have to credit amazon for actively going after Terry.
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!