Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
I uploaded 0.09 with a slightly prettier UI.

I also benchmarked things on my Archos 43 with AnTuTu. Bigger numbers are better. Each number is an average of six tests, but with the No Dimming test having some extreme outliers removed.

No dimming:
2D: 432
3D: 678

ScreenDim, 2% brightness, 100% contrast:
2D: 435
3D: 702

ScreenDim, 2% brightness, ~50% contrast:
2D: 426
3D: 684

Screen Filter, ~50%:
2D: 336
3D: 625

There is a fair amount of variability in the tests, so take them with a bit of a grain of salt. In any case, ScreenDim imposes no significant loss of graphics speed, while Screen Filter imposes about a 30% decrease in 2D graphics speed, and a small decrease in 3D graphics speed.
The new version works wonderful! This is a must have app if you read at night in the dark.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #32
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
OK. I installed this on my Fire. Don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I set up the brightness and contrast in ScreenDim. Go to my book to read. If I hit the settings and tap the brightness slider the screen dims more. I don't even have to move the slider just tap it. Is this supposed to happen.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
OK. I installed this on my Fire. Don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I set up the brightness and contrast in ScreenDim. Go to my book to read. If I hit the settings and tap the brightness slider the screen dims more. I don't even have to move the slider just tap it. Is this supposed to happen.

Carol
What are you brightness and contrast settings in ScreenDim?

p.s. I am in the process of uploading version 1.00. Already in the Android Market. Under submission to Amazon. I am having some trouble with AndroidPIT, but will try again later.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #34
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What are you brightness and contrast settings in ScreenDim?

p.s. I am in the process of uploading version 1.00. Already in the Android Market. Under submission to Amazon. I am having some trouble with AndroidPIT, but will try again later.
OK. Did some more playing around. I keep the contrast at 100%. With the brightness at 20% I did not notice any change. If I set it at 25% or higher I notice a change. I didn't try any setting between 20% - 25%.

Is this what it's supposed to do.

Carol
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK. Did some more playing around. I keep the contrast at 100%. With the brightness at 20% I did not notice any change. If I set it at 25% or higher I notice a change. I didn't try any setting between 20% - 25%.
When you say you changed the brightness, was that with the system brightness adjust (status bar, brightness)?
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #36
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
When you say you changed the brightness, was that with the system brightness adjust (status bar, brightness)?
In ScreenDim if I set the Brightness to 20%, contrast to 100% and then go to my book, if I hit the settings\brightness (system brightness of the Fire) and then tap the brightness slider, it doesn't do anything.

But if I set the Brightness to 25% or higher, contrast to 100% and then go to my book, and hit the settings\brightness (system brightness of the Fire) and then tap the brightness slider, the page dims more.

Hope I'm making myself clear.

Carol
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
In ScreenDim if I set the Brightness to 20%, contrast to 100% and then go to my book, if I hit the settings\brightness (system brightness of the Fire) and then tap the brightness slider, it doesn't do anything.

But if I set the Brightness to 25% or higher, contrast to 100% and then go to my book, and hit the settings\brightness (system brightness of the Fire) and then tap the brightness slider, the page dims more.
I have no idea why, and there is probably nothing I can do about it. It actually sounds like a nice compromise as to who gets to control the brightness. :-)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #38
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I have no idea why, and there is probably nothing I can do about it. It actually sounds like a nice compromise as to who gets to control the brightness. :-)
OK. Just wasn't sure if that's the way it was supposed to work.

Carol
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
pruss
Evangelist

Status update for those who wanted to purchase:
1. Up in Android Market. Won't help those with unrooted Kindles, and for legal reasons I discourage rooting in the US.
2. Amazon Appstore: "Under review".
3. AndroidPIT: I can't submit to them. They've got some bug in their site.

Since I know that people like to read, I put up a 10-day extended trial here.

Ten days should be long enough either for Amazon to approve the app or for me to find a good alternate venue. There are lots of alternate markets, but I don't want to deal with one that requires prepaid accounts (I think SlideME does that now) or with little startups that may disappear, leaving my users in the lurch for updates (YAAM) or ones where users will be too scared giving their information.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #40
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
1. Up in Android Market. Won't help those with unrooted Kindles, and for legal reasons I discourage rooting in the US.

Ten days should be long enough either for Amazon to approve the app or for me to find a good alternate venue. There are lots of alternate markets, but I don't want to deal with one that requires prepaid accounts (I think SlideME does that now) or with little startups that may disappear, leaving my users in the lurch for updates (YAAM) or ones where users will be too scared giving their information.
Hopefully this will get approved by amazon so we can buy it.

Carol
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #41
mdickinson
mdickinson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles. And Apples.
This worked the first night I used it but now it just crashes. I rebooted my fire and was able to get back in the app but as soon as I clicked Activate (or whatever) it crashed. After another reboot I can't get into the app at all.

Is there a crash dump or something somewhere I can get that might help?
mdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #42
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickinson View Post
This worked the first night I used it but now it just crashes. I rebooted my fire and was able to get back in the app but as soon as I clicked Activate (or whatever) it crashed. After another reboot I can't get into the app at all.

Is there a crash dump or something somewhere I can get that might help?
You can install Android Log Collector and email me (arpruss@gmail.com) a log right after a crash.

Or if you know how to use adb and have it installed on your desktop, you can do adb>log.txt on a connected desktop, wait for 5 seconds, press ctrl-c, and then email me log.txt.

I had an occasional crash yesterday while testing, but I haven't been able to get them with sufficient regularity to fix them.

I can also send you a special version with extra logging.

Last edited by pruss; 12-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #43
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:

Just saw that ScreenDim is up at Amazon's market but NOT for the Fire. What gives? Anxiously awaiting it. Any idea when it will be available for the Fire?

Carol
Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #44
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Just saw that ScreenDim is up at Amazon's market but NOT for the Fire. What gives? Anxiously awaiting it. Any idea when it will be available for the Fire?
Don't know. They first approve it for the Appstore and then for the Kindle.

Don't worry. If it's still not up by the end of December, I'll put up a version with a longer trial period. All the better to hook you with. :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #45
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Don't know. They first approve it for the Appstore and then for the Kindle.

Don't worry. If it's still not up by the end of December, I'll put up a version with a longer trial period. All the better to hook you with. :-)
I'm hooked.

Carol