Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Convert to what?

This may be a really silly question,

Just started using calibre a few weeks ago, and as yet I have not got a mobile reader, am looking at getting some form of android 7" tablet soon.

Question is, as I have a bit of time on my hands, and lots of ebooks in various formats in in various states of distress (Abbyy & Amber pdf's etc) I was wondering if I could start converting a few to other formats...

I was thinking about "epub" for the pdf,s and text html files, will leave any mobi files and lit as they are for now.

Is that something worth doing, of should I wait till I have a reader and see what android app I like and what format displays on it..?

Any advice welcome
Tks
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I would suggest using ePub if you want to fix the formatting of the books. You can then use Sigil to edit them. Also, as far as Calibre goes, ePub is the format for which the most features are supported.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Manichean, will have a play and convert some to epub then.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ yup. For sure test a few files, see the results, what you can do, etc...before you jump all-in and do a mass conversion.

+1 with Manichean and epub in your case with Android. MOBI is nice too IMO for sure but maybe think about LIT conversion at some point. LIT is, AFAIK, pretty dead and a major PITA.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
transmitthis
Addict

Thanks lestatar.
the only thing I'm worried about is converting from one format - then having to convert back and in so doing loosing some formatting / structure.... but as I really don't have much experience on ebook players or readers I have no idea if that's a valid concern.

I know that converting from pdf to another format will only make it better, so I'll stick with that for now.
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
I know that converting from pdf to another format will only make it better, so I'll stick with that for now.
You'll probably find that converting from PDF to another format will require significant editing to make it readable. PDF is not an eBook format - a PDF file does not contain "text" as such, but merely instructions of the form "draw such-and-such a shape at these coordinates". As such, it's extremely difficult to extract meaningful text from a PDF document.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Thanks lestatar.
the only thing I'm worried about is converting from one format - then having to convert back and in so doing loosing some formatting / structure.... but as I really don't have much experience on ebook players or readers I have no idea if that's a valid concern.

That is a valid concern, but as a rule converting between ePub and mobi formats goes very well with default settings. I do not notice any visible loss of layout/structure in the vast majority of cases. Having said that if you are worried you can always save a copy outside Calibre prior to converting, or revert to starting with the original PDF source.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #8
transmitthis
Addict

Will do itimpi, always a good idea to have a backup

Thanks for the info Harry, will make sure I proof read and edit as I go.

Tags
android 7" tablet, epub conversion