Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #31
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I can tell you who did it

Spoiler:
Just kidding!
LOL, I don't think he'll even click the spoiler button. Joy736, don't worry, it's not a real spoiler
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #32
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
party pooper (no offence please! )
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #33
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
party pooper (no offence please! )
Hahaha. None taken
Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
LOL, I don't think he'll even click the spoiler button. Joy736, don't worry, it's not a real spoiler
I'm never tempted by these spoiler buttons anyway They can try, but they won't succeed.

Last edited by Joy736; 12-22-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just finished "and then there were none" and I surely didn't see the end coming. Very very good read. Her books may be addictive . I already bought "murder on the orient express". She might become one of my favourite authors!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #36
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Christie is my favorite mystery author, and while I love Poirot and Marple; And Then There Were None is my favorite. Even though this is an ereader's forum, I would like to recommend a visit to your local public library. Most of Christie's novels are in stock in many libraries. Also the omnibus collections of her novels are usually much cheaper than individual ebooks.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm at it again. Going through 8th Poirot in a row for the past 2 weeks. What will I do when I have read them all?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
I'm at it again. Going through 8th Poirot in a row for the past 2 weeks. What will I do when I have read them all?
They are addictive

Have you read her Tommy and Tuppence books?

Quote:
Tommy and Tuppence Beresford are two of Agatha Christie's delightful detectives. Although Christie only wrote 5 books in the series, the characters aged realistically - from giddy young detectives in the Jazz Age, to grandparents losing their memory of the past in the 1970s.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #39
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

I read one and I didn't like it too much. I like Poirot, and Miss Marple a bit less. Yesterday I was just about to read Poirot explaining who did it and I had to get out of the tram, arrgh!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I just finished "and then there were none" and I surely didn't see the end coming. Very very good read. Her books may be addictive . I already bought "murder on the orient express". She might become one of my favourite authors!
They changed the ending a bit when the 1st movie adaptation was made in the 1940's though it's still the same killer at work. I don't know if her books would be considered 'fair' (i.e. giving you a even chance to work out who the murderer is) but she is always a good read I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not really changed in the last 200+ years. You'll find that, if you read the novels of Jane Austen (one of my favourite authors), it's pretty much indistinguishable from today's English. There'll be words you don't understand relating to things like different types of horse-drawn carriage (of which there were a bewildering variety!), and there'll be a few spellings which have slightly changed (eg "shew" instead of "show", "stopt" instead of "stopped"), but overall you won't have the slightest difficulty in understanding the language.
true

actually, I've got no problem reading Robinson Crusoe and that's from the early XVIII century.

Shakespeare and Milton do demand more cautious reading, though. However, you soon become acquainted with the arcaic idiom used.

The original text of Beowulf is a total no-no for me. and I guess for you too...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #42
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't know if her books would be considered 'fair' (i.e. giving you a even chance to work out who the murderer is) but she is always a good read I think.
In my opinion, Agatha Christie plays fair. Always.

She was one of the founders of The Detection Club in 1930; a club dedicated to what today is referred to as the classical detective mystery. The oath that every member of this exclusive club takes upon themselves when admitted into the club is this:
Quote:
”Do you solemnly swear never to conceal a vital clue from the reader?”
”I do.”

Source: John Dickson Carr in his essay The Grandest Game in the World
This sacred oath is sworn upon Eric the Skull, the mascot of the detection club; a skull with red lights in its eyes. For a photo, look at the end of this article. She was elected president of The Detection Club in 1957; this alone should testify to her achievement in a lifetime devoted to fair play.

H.R.F. Keating, president of The Detection Club from 1985 to 2000, has written that
Quote:
When Agatha Christie was asked to be President of the Detection Club in 1958, the only possible successor to Dorothy L. Sayers, she agreed but made it a condition that she should not be asked to speak at its public meetings.
Emphasis mine. QED.

Edit:
According to wikipedia, the oath taken upon admittance into the club is:
Quote:
Do you promise that your detectives shall well and truly detect the crimes presented to them using those wits which it may please you to bestow upon them and not placing reliance on nor making use of Divine Revelation, Feminine Intuition, Mumbo Jumbo, Jiggery-Pokery, Coincidence, or Act of God?
The Detective Club agreed upon some rules of fair play. Here is a link to them:
http://www.seattlemystery.com/rules-fair-play

Last edited by Iznogood; 05-17-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #43
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
In my opinion, Agatha Christie plays fair. Always. [...]
I love Agatha Christie, but in my opinion she does not play fair in "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" - I still enjoyed reading it, but I did feel cheated.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #44
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I love Agatha Christie, but in my opinion she does not play fair in "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" - I still enjoyed reading it, but I did feel cheated.
I recall reading somewhere that Agatha Christie nearly got kicked out of the Detection Club because of this novel.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well that novel is a special case I think in that 'playing fair' might reveal who the murderer is prematurely. It's also the only plot suggested by an English Lord I believe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote