Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Access files on your desktop with Google and SoonR

Have you ever found yourself in need of an important file you left on your desktop computer back at home or at the office? With SoonR Desktop Agent and Google Desktop Search installed on your computer, you can search for, access, and view files remotely from any computer or handheld device using only a web browser.

SoonR is a new software and service to help you keep In Touch with your data. Have you ever...?

• Left a file behind on a computer and needed access to it from the office or on the road?
• Tried to synchronize files, but couldn’t fit it on your mobile device?
• Tried to edit and share documents with a group of people who travel?

SoonR with Share on the Spot™ technology gives you all this and more! In order to use SoonR, a computer(s) connected to the Internet runs a small secure agent as a service. Computers that have Google Desktop Search installed can be searched remotely using any device with a browser such as your PDA or phone. SoonR has been tested and is compatible with the majority of mobile phones with data access. There is no software to install on the phone, eliminating administration and maintenance issues. To try SoonR for free today, visit www.soonr.com and sign up for a beta account. Instructions for installing the client will be displayed when you log in. Currently SoonR is available in English.

You can read more about SoonR at the developer's website here.

Related: Remotely access your files with Avvenu
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
Evan
... loves his toys!
Evan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650
You beat me to it. This sounds very much like Avvenu with the exception that it makes your computer searchable via Google Desktop. Having said that, that's probably a three page load operation with to find a file with Soonr instead of many with Avvenu.

(1) Access soonr
(2) Search computer
(3) Access results

Pretty cool.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't know, I'm still worried about security. The thought of leaving my PC open to the deprivations of the net give me the heeby-jeebies.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
Evan
... loves his toys!
Evan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650
LOL! I used the same phrase, "heeby-jeebies", when I first described my feelings about security and Avvenue.

It was either that, the willies, or the screaming meemies... but I get all of those mixed up sometimes. ;-)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Heh, so do I! Still, it's a pretty accurate description of my misgivings about these services. Can these companies really guarantee our privacy?
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert