Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #796
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I read that one too and am not having any luck with the name or author.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #797
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Orphans of the Sky by Heinlein.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #798
Clancey
Clancey began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
OMG - Of course! Thank you! I had thought it might have been Arthur C Clark. I did read everything Heinlein wrote, but in my head I divided his Youth books and his more adult books. I never went back and re-read his early books after I read Stranger in a Strange Land, Farnham's Freehold etc.

Time to dig those old Heinlein books out again!
Clancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #799
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancey View Post
OMG - Of course! Thank you! I had thought it might have been Arthur C Clark. I did read everything Heinlein wrote, but in my head I divided his Youth books and his more adult books. I never went back and re-read his early books after I read Stranger in a Strange Land, Farnham's Freehold etc.

Time to dig those old Heinlein books out again!
Man Who Sold the Moon / Orphans of the Sky By Robert A. Heinlein Baen Amazon B&N
Spoiler:
Two classic Robert A. Heinlein novels in one volume, with an all‑new introduction by Mark L. Van Name, author of the Jon and Lobo military SF series.

The Man Who Sold the Moon: D. D. Harriman is a billionaire with a dream: the dream of space for all mankind. The method? Anything that works. Maybe, in fact, Harriman goes too far. But he will give us the stars…

Orphans of the Sky: Hugh had been taught that, according to the ancient sacred writings, the Ship was on a voyage to faraway Centaurus. But he also understood that this must be allegory for a voyage to spiritual perfection. After all, the real world was only metal corridors and nothing else, right? And then Hugh begins to suspect the truth. . .

Two all‑time classics from seven‑time Hugo winner and Dean of Science Fiction, Robert A. Heinlein.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #800
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Hi - I read a SF book when I first started reading by choice. It was when I was 10 or 11 (62 as of this writing). I am pretty sure it was by one of the big SF writers of the era. It was about a giant multi-generation spacecraft where the passengers had forgotten they were on an Interstellar ship and had devolved to a primitive state. The hero of the story finds the bridge. It's a hazy memory, but it has bugged me for years. Any help appreciated!
I seem to have a dim recollection of hearing a similar radio drama, but I'm afraid I could attach no title nor author to it. Glad others could help.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #801
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I seem to have a dim recollection of hearing a similar radio drama, but I'm afraid I could attach no title nor author to it. Glad others could help.
There was indeed a radio adaptation of Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Radio adaptation

"Universe" was also performed as a radio play on the NBC Radio Network programs Dimension X (on November 26, 1951) and X Minus One (on May 15, 1955). This version has several drastic changes to the story, especially in its conclusion wherein Hugh is killed showing the crew of the Vanguard the true nature of the Ship.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #802
Clancey
Clancey began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
There was indeed a radio adaptation of Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. From Wikipedia:
You can download X Minus One legally from the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_X_Minus_One

I'll have to do this when I get the time. Thanks for the tip!
Clancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #803
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I'm looking for a book. It's military sci-fi, written by a female author, has a guy holding a laser sword on the cover (not a lightsabre), has officers referred to as centurions, and is available on Amazon UK and US, Would be great if someone could help, as it has been really annoying me that I cannot remember who the author is! Does anyone have any clue? Doesn't matter now. I asked on Goodreads on their "What's the name of that book???" thread. I probably should have done that earlier. Sorry to bother everyone. Btw, the book was The Lost King by Margaret Weis, part of her Star of the Guardians series.

Last edited by Waylander; 06-25-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #804
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Looking for a romance book. Below is what I remember of the plot

I read this book five or more years ago. I can tell you what I remember about the plot but I do not remember character names.

Three female friends go on a holiday at a dude ranch or some type of farm. One of the friends is either a famous singer or actress. She is having marriage problems and finds her husband is/has been cheating on her. He has 3 kids from a previous marriage and she wants visitation in the divorce but he can't allow it since he shares this with his previous wife.

The singer (or actress) ends up in a relationship with the foreman at this ranch. He wants to provide for her and gets pissed off when she purchases the farm/ranch he has been saving up to purchase.

I think one of the females has recently lost her spouse.

If I remember correctly all three of these females attending college together and formed a friendship and kept in touch.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #805
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Hi - I read a SF book when I first started reading by choice. It was when I was 10 or 11 (62 as of this writing). I am pretty sure it was by one of the big SF writers of the era. It was about a giant multi-generation spacecraft where the passengers had forgotten they were on an Interstellar ship and had devolved to a primitive state. The hero of the story finds the bridge. It's a hazy memory, but it has bugged me for years. Any help appreciated!
That sounds like the 3rd of the 3 books of the Exiles Trilogy by Ben Bova. And of course Harlan Ellison wrote his short work "Phoenix without Ashes" using the same idea. That story was then later made into the short run TV series known as "The Starlost."

Last edited by crich70; 07-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #806
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Unhappy Book Title Needed

All:

I started a book about a psychology experiment in human sexuality. Erotica is the genre.
The study is about what happens when a couple is put together, when each person is the opposite of what the other desires/looks for in a partner.

The first chapter describes the couple meeting in a bar, and instantly dismissing the other, as not even worth a pickup line.

The second chapter describes them interviewing to be a subject in the psychology experiment.

The third chapter describes their first two hour sessions. All they had to do was hold hands for the entire two hours.

I jumped to the end of the book, and the couple did have sex, and a relationship outside of the project.

Does anybody recognize that plotline. If so, what is the author, and title of it.
I think the last word of the title is "experiment", but not sure.

I started reading it. I upgraded a program on my tablet that borked the tablet, so I had to do a system restore. The automatic backups didn't back it up. I thought I had manually backed it up to my laptop, and imported it into Calibre, but nothing comes there.

Going through the eBook readers I re-installed, and it doesn't come up.

I just want to know what happens between that first session, and them having a relationship.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #807
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
deleted

Last edited by Catlady; 08-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #808
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the sub-forum that is specifically for this issue.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #809
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Almost three years ago, I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
More than 20 years ago I read a thriller (whose title I can't remember) where two men "exchange murders". The men had known each other in a pub or some similar place. One of the men wanted his wife killed, the other his rich uncle (not sure about the latter, could be some other relative). Some details:
- The wife is killed along with her lover (of whom the husband didn't know)
- The uncle was to be killed in a hit and run accident, but dies as a result of a heart attack before being hit.
- Both men communicate through newspaper messages, one of them was something like "the days are drawing in, the nights are drawing out".

There was an author's note at the beginning of the book saying that he had noticed that another author had used the "exchange of murders" plot, but he had not heard of it at the time of writing.

Any ideas?
I finally found the book title: it was A penknife in my heart, by Nicholas Blake, first published in 1958. The note at the beggining refers to Patricia Highsmith's Strangers on a train (1950).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #810
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I can't remember the author of a series of books, which are military sci-fi, and appear alongside authors like Steven L. Kent, Jean Johnson etc in the "customers who bought this also bought"... . I think the series is about 5-6 books long, and is written by a female author. The series focuses on a male soldier, and his role in a war and a rebellion (I think). It would be great if anyone could help.

Edit
I found the author after some digging, and it wasn't even female. The series is Helfort's War by Graham Sharp Paul, so I'm now off to read all his books.

Last edited by Waylander; 09-14-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths