Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The odd thing is, I was pretty sure that was the "last chapter" that she wrote out ahead of time. The last word isn't "scar," but it does appear in the last sentence. And interviews have confirmed this. Apparently it did get shorter, though:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323 (SPOILER WARNINGS!)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/n...-rowling_N.htm

Those of you who wanted more details (and wanted to know why they weren't in the epilogue) might want to read these. You might also want to read some comments posted by Cheryl Klein, the Scholastic editor who copyedited the books in the U.S.:

http://chavelaque.blogspot.com/2007/...y-hallows.html

I particularly liked one of the comments by a blog visitor:
Quote:
...she can show a portion of the truth and make you believe it, and then show you more later, and suddenly you realize you've got to restructure the entire story all over again in your head. She does that so well that she can use that technique over and over, yet it continues to surprise.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Robin Hobb's Farseer Universe --

never have I wanted a series to continue as this one... Fitz, The Fool, Night Eyes... *sniff* sorry for this OT post...

To bring it back on topic.. I am on chapter 10 of HP7...
I'm going to check that out as my next series. Thanks
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just starting chapter 11.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the problems with the book (IMHO) is that because it was originally written for the UK market and then brought over the US, there are things said and words that should be changed for the American audience. While adults may get these things, a lot of kids won't. So in my opinion, it's a poor job of editing the US version. My wife is Scottish and I've learned a lot of difference between UK and US English. But most people in the US won't have had that opportunity.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #20
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
for me personally, I'd rather have the disparity of talk. I mean, it does take place in the UK, so it makes it feel much more authentic to me. Most of the kids i know that have read it, love it, and jump on terms like "boogies"

Then again, I've always loved the imported British television and my roomie is from the UK, so i might have a different opinion.

Is there any difference between the UK version and the US version? If so, i might have to import and pretend it's a new series :-D
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The cover for the Adult version is different. That I know for sure.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #22
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
I'm going to check that out as my next series. Thanks
Your welcome... and she has official ebooks
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Oops, I meant to say that I did not like the epilogue either. Sometimes I think faster than I type ... ;(
Caution: Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth, er, fingers, into gear
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what differences there might be between the US and UK versions of book 7. There were quite a few changes in the first book, including the title (Philosopher's Stone vs. Sorceror's Stone) and terms like post vs. mail, trainers vs. sneakers, jumpers vs. sweaters. As the series went on, the US fans complained about these changes and we saw fewer of them in subsequent books. I've been buying the Canadian versions (because they are printed on recycled paper) for the past several volumes, which I understand have fewer changes than the US versions. I think kids who read in the US these days can handle the vocabulary differences involved. There's little need to "dumb down" the books for them. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Goodbye Harry Potter

There have been a few books and series over the years that I have finished with a sense of bereavement. The Travis McGee series was one. Harry Potter is another. JKR created a world we all loved to share. She made us care about the characters, their triumphs and their failures. She has created a classic for children and adults alike. For pure pleasure, it doesn't get any better than this!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #26
HeffeD
Enthusiast
HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Z22
Put me down as another person not fond of the epilogue...

It feels too much like an afterthought or a marketing ploy. It definitely leaves her open to pen another series.
HeffeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Travis McGee Rox!!!!

I loved the epilogue. I truly did. I know its sappy and emotional to have a happily ever after but heck. That world is real only in our minds and I ate the happily ever after stuff up like a bear eating honey.

Great book, great series!

I'm gonna go back now and read em all again!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Travis McGee Rox!!!!

I loved the epilogue. I truly did. I know its sappy and emotional to have a happily ever after but heck. That world is real only in our minds and I ate the happily ever after stuff up like a bear eating honey.

Great book, great series!

I'm gonna go back now and read em all again!
Not that it's bad but it's not well integrated to the tightly knit stories we've been accustomed to. It feels out of place like white socks with a black suit. My daughter tells me that JK had planned double that chapter and that she'd confided to the press about some details. Of course I can't find anything about it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Not that it's bad but it's not well integrated to the tightly knit stories we've been accustomed to. It feels out of place like white socks with a black suit. My daughter tells me that JK had planned double that chapter and that she'd confided to the press about some details. Of course I can't find anything about it.
Well, considering the beginning of Book 1 took place 10 years before most of the rest of the book, it's not really surprising that there was a big gap between most of book 7 and the epilogue.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
yvan, I posted some links to the articles with more info earlier in this thread (I think). Or try http://www.accio-quote.org/ for a source of all the interviews Rowling has ever given, and then some.