Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
A Syncing Question

Let me preface this post by noting that while I'm an editor here, I've not been terribly active in a while, so I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Forgive me if I got it wrong.

I was talking with my brother yesterday, who says he's becoming quite the ebook fiend, in addition to being a longtime audiobook fiend. He has a Kindle, and I guess he's giddily going to buy the new one.

His gripe was that should he buy both an ebook and an audiobook version of the same text, that there's no reader that syncs the two versions up. If there is, he doesn't know about it -- and he's a pretty tech-savvy guy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Say you're reading an ebook and then you want to go out to the garden and do some work and continue on with it, but this time you want to listen instead of read.

Sure, you probably could do it by chapter, say; but what he really wants is some mechanism that does it automatically. Basically, a way to sync up the audio and ebook versions in a way that the device can read.

Is this science fiction or even science wishing? Are we at the point where these readers can do this?

In short, are my bro and I totally insane?
(Okay, yea, that last bit is a softball....)
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Readers cannot do this with two different unrelated files but TTS can. The new Kindle supports this.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Let me see if I understand: So with the K2, you can use text-to-speech and it will perform the job I detailed above?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE View Post
Let me see if I understand: So with the K2, you can use text-to-speech and it will perform the job I detailed above?
Exactly, some people are even using it to do automatic page changes while reading the text on the screen (with the audio turned down). Amazon even advertises this use by stating you are reading an eBook but then need to jump in your car and go somewhere you can continue with the book.

Dale
Old 03-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

OoOoOoOo. That's cool. Too bad my bro's bday already passed, this is the perfect rig for him then.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
One word of caution though. Some of the publishers don't like the text-to-speech functioning of the new Kindles, as they feel it infringes on their audio book rights. So they are forcing Amazon to disable this feature on some books. Not sure if there's a way to tell which books Text-to-speech is disabled on.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I actually do this now. In the car on the way home, I'll let it read to me. Then when I get home I can continue where I left off. Plus, if I get stuck somewhere Kindleless I can hit the iPod, and go to the same page I was on before!
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Can you choose the voice that reads to you or not?? [I don't own a Kindle...or live in the US but just curious]
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I'm reading and listening too although it takes a bit of time to find the right places on my reader and later on my iPod. I had the same thought the other day, if ONLY both devices knew where I had left off on the last used device!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
Can you choose the voice that reads to you or not?? [I don't own a Kindle...or live in the US but just curious]
They include a male and a female voice.

Dale
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I've heard of differing TTS engines, most of the time, the female voice will sound nicer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote