Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
got questions about kindle and calibre

so my uncle came today from LA and i finally got my kindle and cover pressed on it; feels solid and nothing is moving inside. whew. now just downloading my archive and will sideload books from calibre later

edit: if i add the books from my kindle to calibre to sort out the collections then add it back again to my kindle, will i be getting double files or what?

Last edited by wyndslash; 04-14-2011 at 04:18 AM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Congratulations! Hope you have lots of happy reading ahead.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

You might want to look into the Create Kindle Collections plugin for Calibre, if you haven't already. It's been a big help for me.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
so my uncle came today from LA and i finally got my kindle and cover pressed on it; feels solid and nothing is moving inside. whew. now just downloading my archive and will sideload books from calibre later
Congrats! Which one did you get - WiFi or 3G? what cover did you get?

I'm getting 2 or 3 of the new KSOs next month.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@tube: i got the wifi one, and the cover is the amazon lighted cover. i'm not sure if i inserted it correctly, though...the top one keeps coming a bit loose. hmmm

@silas: thanks, i'll look into it

@drake: thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
Congratulations

I got mine yesterday, in 36 hours from America to my doorstep in Germany - The global village.....
I'm totally fond of the device even i own it only a day, it's absolutely great.
It took me half an hour to get books on the device, sort some collections and started reading. As an Apple-Addict i thought for a long time if I should buy another device (i own ipad, iphone4, macbook air), but for reading the kindle is a clear winner. I hope you like it as much as I do!
regards
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post

edit: if i add the books from my kindle to calibre to sort out the collections then add it back again to my kindle, will i be getting double files or what?
I never tried that. What I'd do in your situation is this:

1. using usb, drag and drop (holding the right mouse button, and choosing move) the entire contents of the documents directory from the Kindle to a directory on the pc.

2. import the azw (and azw1 or tpz) files into Calibre.

3. then have Calibre install those files to the Kindle.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
theGsayeth
bling bling
theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: amazon kindle
Enjoy your kindle. I know I enjoy mine. Cheers.
theGsayeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
YAY! Have fun with it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Enjoy your new Kindle, wyndslash!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I never tried that. What I'd do in your situation is this:

1. using usb, drag and drop (holding the right mouse button, and choosing move) the entire contents of the documents directory from the Kindle to a directory on the pc.

2. import the azw (and azw1 or tpz) files into Calibre.

3. then have Calibre install those files to the Kindle.
This sounds like a reasonably efficient way to do this. Thanks, I'm going to try! Karma to you! :-D
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Yay! You finally got it! It may take a few tries with the lighted cover before it's attached correctly. Make sure to attached the bottom first then the top one will have snap to it when it's in place. You might have to give a firm push the first few times till it's broken in. No gold prongs should be showing at all.

I remember when I first got my cover I was clueless on how to use it. It took me a few tries just to get it attached correctly. Now I can do it like a pro!

Enjoy your Kindle!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard

thanks, guys i am really loving it so far

@alan: oh, your solution is way better than what i did xD
Old 04-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Congrats on your new Kindle wyndslash. They are a lot of fun to have. I've had mine about a month now. First I borrowed a K2 from my local library and liked that so much I had to buy my own. I couldn't stand the idea of going back to being kindleless when I'd have to return the K2 to the library. lol. You might find the following link of use. I use the program myself and have had no trouble with it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ection+manager
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard

thanks, but i use a mac