Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
TheFakeMoonMan
TheFakeMoonMan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
Problem with double L's converting PDF to EPUB

Hello,

I checked the FAQs, but couldn't find anything on this problem.

I converted a few books from PDFs to EPUBs and it seems that some of the double L's in certain words (Examples: carefully, filled, and well) don't convert properly. The second L in the word is missing and in place of it is a space.

However, it's not all of the double L's. I found some words like 'totally' and 'falling' which worked perfectly.

This isn't a huge problem as I can typically figure out what the word is, but still, if anyone knows how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff
TheFakeMoonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
TheFakeMoonMan

Oh, I forgot to mention this: I checked the PDF version on my computer and it look fine, but the EPUB version, again checked on my computer, had the problem.
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFakeMoonMan View Post
The second L in the word is missing and in place of it is a space.However, it's not all of the double L's.
It may be that the double ll is a grapheme in which two letters are combined into a single glyph. Where it worked, they just used two l's. I'm not enough of a font expert to know how to fix this correctly. If you can search and replace in a format that you like, that's where I'd start. You can also try opening the file in a hex editor (I use UltraEdit) to find what code is used and then S&R there.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
TheFakeMoonMan

Thanks for your quick reply!

What file should I try opening in the hex editor?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I converted a few books from PDFs to EPUBs and it seems that some of the double L's in certain words (Examples: carefully, filled, and well) don't convert properly. The second L in the word is missing and in place of it is a space.
The document is using what are called ligatures, which make certain character pairs smaller. Common are ff, fi, fl, ffl, ffi. There are others, such as the one you noted, ll.

IIRC, Kovid said that the new PDF conversion engine handles ligatures correctly. I don't know its release status, though.

Last edited by chaley; 05-18-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: note ll as a ligature.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply!

What file should I try opening in the hex editor?
Which file shows the ligatures? Wait - I see it's the pdf. That's not an easy format to handle. Can you convert to any other format that shows the ligatures? If not, look at the EPUB contents. (Add .zip to the end and extract it - it's just a zip file) Sometimes the "spaces" where the ligatures are will be codes you can search and replace.

You'll have to try various formats, and even then, this may not work. Also try exporting from the pdf as text using Acrobat. There are lots of things that might work, but none I can say with certainty will.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The document is using what are called ligatures, which make certain character pairs smaller. Common are ff, fi, fl, ffl, ffi. There are others, such as the one you noted, ll.

IIRC, Kovid said that the new PDF conversion engine handles ligatures correctly. I don't know its release status, though.
Yes, the new engine does (at least on the test pdf docs I have tried). But it's going to be a while before I can find the time to finish it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
IMHO, the easiest way to handle that is use a font that contains the necessary ligatures and embed it in your epub file (or if you're up to hacking your reader, replace the default fonts on the reader). Alternatively you can convert from PDF to HTML first and clean up a bit, including the ligatures.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
TheFakeMoonMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
IMHO, the easiest way to handle that is use a font that contains the necessary ligatures and embed it in your epub file (or if you're up to hacking your reader, replace the default fonts on the reader). Alternatively you can convert from PDF to HTML first and clean up a bit, including the ligatures.
Thanks for your reply, but I don't have a clue about how to do this. Is there a guide out there outlining this process?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, but I don't have a clue about how to do this. Is there a guide out there outlining this process?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

check out these threads here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
TheFakeMoonMan

Okay, fantastic!

I've successfully replaced the font in the EPUB with Fontin (like the guy used in his tutorial).

However, I still have the problem.

How should I go about finding a font that will work? Just trial and error?

Thanks again
Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
It appears you see the ligatures in the pdf? If so, you can identify the font used in the original pdf with Acrobat. Here's instuction s for Acrobat 9 Professional:

1. Open the PDF, and choose Advanced > Print Production > Output Preview

2. Select "Object Inspector" for the Preview.

3. Click on the ligature, and the font that was used should be displayed in the Output Preview panel.

Then you can try to find that font elsewhere. This is the "correct" method, and works for most normal fonts. However, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to find the font you need for the EPUB.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the next release of calibre will automatically convert ligatures to normal characters.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Okay, fantastic!

I've successfully replaced the font in the EPUB with Fontin (like the guy used in his tutorial).

However, I still have the problem.

Thanks again
I've found that the Cambria font has all the ligatures that I ever ran into in PDF to EPUB conversion and looks pretty well on the reader. Do a Google search for cambria.ttf if you don't have one handy.

Another option is to check dafont.com, they allow you to preview the fonts. Copy/Paste the ligatures from the PDF and see which fonts support them.

Last edited by dmapr; 05-21-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
WHA1949
WHA1949 began at the beginning.

Device: PALM Zire, Sony TRS
PDF with Minion Pro Font gives problems

I just want to add that I have a similar problem when I convert a PDF containg the font Minion Pro. The original file is in german and could be easily mapped to a standard character set.

But combination like Th or ff or fi cause the conversion to HTML to go wrong.

I am looking forward to the new PDF conversion.

I am using calibre 0-72.
WHA1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, letter, letter l, ligatures, pdf