Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
bookie
bookie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia
Smile using Sony Ereader in Australia/ie out of USA

hi all
desparately seeking ebook for two month trip to South America. The Sony Ereader is not released in Australia.
I could get the iIliad but it's three times the price, and I can't see any major advantages.
I could buy a sony Ereader from eBay - I know you can only access Sony connect with a US credit card from within the USA (is this actually true - could I use a US credit card from Australia to download from the Sony store??).
I have read that books from the Gutenberg project can be downloaded onto the Sony EReader.
Is this true? is it pretty straightforward or are there major hassles with file conversion etc etc?
Any experiences using the Sony Ereader from outside the States welcome.
thanks for your help.
Smile
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are a lot of books already 500/5050 formatted here on MobileRead from PG and other sources. So you can download pre-formatted books no problem. In order to purchase books from the Sony Connect Store, you do need a US address to go along with a US credit card. File conversion can be done using the libprs500 suite, Book Designer, PieLRF, or PDFLRF (for PDF) Leaping Gnome will purchase you credit at the Connect Store if you send him the money. So you can then use the credit to purchase books. You can also purchase MS Reader format books and remove the DRM and convert using lit2lrf very easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
readalot44
readalot44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
how easy is easy

to a non nerd, how easy are all these file conversions? How long would it take? Would it be more straightforward eg to buy the Hanlin eReader V3 and just download content onto it?
readalot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readalot44 View Post
to a non nerd, how easy are all these file conversions? How long would it take? Would it be more straightforward eg to buy the Hanlin eReader V3 and just download content onto it?
The V3 supports: PDF, TXT, DOC, HTML, WOL, FB2 & DjVu

I do not know if DOC format supports graphics or links in DOC files. Also I do not know what version DOC is supported. Microsoft changes the format way too often. I have no experience with WOL and the software used to create this format. But, HTML should be fairly simple to deal with. You can also use Book Designer to create FB2 format. And if the V3 does get Mobipocket on board, then you can just load your Book Designer source and create PRC to be read on the V3.

The Sony has some good tools available for dealing with content. librps500 (and it's very nice conversion tools), Book Designer, PieLRF, and PDFLRF (for making PDF readable on a 6" screen).

For the Cybook Gen3, you can use Mobigen, Mobipocket Creator, Mobipocket Desktop (for Windows), or Book Designer.

For the V3 for can use Book Designer, any HTML editor, MS Word (if it's version of DOC is compatible).

So as you see, the options are not all that complicated for these devices. The only thing is if you want Mobipocket format, then you'll have to wait for the Gen3 to be released or the V3 to finalize it's deal with Mobipocket. So you are realistically looking at mid-November, to early-December for the V3 (if it adds Mobipocket) & Gen3 (to be released).

The good news however is the Sony PRS505, Hanlain V3, & Cybook Gen3 all will come with the new Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
lesjac
lesjac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Leaping Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are a lot of books already 500/5050 formatted here on MobileRead from PG and other sources. So you can download pre-formatted books no problem. In order to purchase books from the Sony Connect Store, you do need a US address to go along with a US credit card. File conversion can be done using the libprs500 suite, Book Designer, PieLRF, or PDFLRF (for PDF) Leaping Gnome will purchase you credit at the Connect Store if you send him the money. So you can then use the credit to purchase books. You can also purchase MS Reader format books and remove the DRM and convert using lit2lrf very easily.
How can I contact Leaping Gnome?
lesjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Send him a private message (PM)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote