Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Tekeur
Tekeur began at the beginning.

Device: none
Displaying french characters on Japanese Kindle PW

Hi all, I'm planning to buy my Kindle PW on amazon.co.jp because it is much cheaper even with the shipping fees (it's about 50$ cheaper, including all fees).
However, I'm wondering if it will be possible to read french characters such as "é" or "ô" on the japanese Kindle PW ? (I couldn't find any information on the what encoding was used by japanese Kindle PW, I hope it's UTF-8)
Thank you .
Tekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you live in Japan? I think you'll find that amazon.jp will only ship to Japanese addresses.

To answer the question, all Kindles (including the Japanese version) can display accented letters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Tekeur

Thank you for your answer .
Quote:
Do you live in Japan? I think you'll find that amazon.jp will only ship to Japanese addresses.
I live in France but I'm planning to use this website: http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/
According to them it will cost me 11 075 Yen (including all charges, the kindle alone costs 7980 Yen) to have my kindle PW sent to me in France. (11 075 Yen = 111 $)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't forget to take into account that you'll have to pay VAT (19.6% in France, I believe) when it arrives. Or do your charges include that?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Tekeur

The website's shipping fee calculator doesn't seem to include VAT ( here's what it says: http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/467946Sanstitre.jpg ) but it's still cheaper to buy it in Japan even if I need to pay VAT.
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Good luck. Please do come back and let us know how it works out. Presumably your Japanese is good enough to be able to figure out how to change the user interface language to English or French?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Tekeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good luck. Please do come back and let us know how it works out. Presumably your Japanese is good enough to be able to figure out how to change the user interface language to English or French?
My level is still pretty low but since I'm familiar with the japanese writinig system, I think I'll manage to understand by using translators (or asking my Japanese teacher ).

Tags
characters, french, japanese, kindle, paperwhite