Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
POd at Sony's Lousy PR and Marketing!

I can't believe it. What lousy marketing. Keeping a product a secret is a lousy way to make it sell. It's effing creepy and seems doomed to me. I'm really interested in the Sony 650 and 350. I want to compare specs. I want to know all the details. Nada.

I read here that they're out! But secretly. Isthis why their terrific TiVo crumbled? (It was far better than the TiVo product or the Humax Tivo).

Unbeeffinglievable.

I do searches and come up more with cameras and 505 ereaders because the market is underwhelmed.

The Sony site doesn't have much about it except mumbledy jumble.

I'm really interested but if they do such a lousy PR and marketing campaign, are they equally flighty about the product? Are they trying to decide just what size to make them, or whether or not to have Wifi or 3G? WTF?

I can get some ideas from here, but Google should be overwhelmed with info and links.

GRr
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What details do you need? Here's link to the docs and specs for 350 and 650.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
parafluie
Enthusiast

Thanks Igorsk. They are adequate specs. But there's no blitz! I have access to this forum and can go around seeking information, but having the customers doing the work to find out about a product is a lousy strategy.

I am concerned for the ereader's viability when there is not even much of a drip let alone a splash!

I guess I'm the only one concerned <g> and I wish I were handling their PR and marketing. OTOH, if I were, I'd fire my A$$.

I really want them to succeed.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
It's not hard to find information about them on Sony's site though. In fact, they currently use an image of their readers as the icon for their shop on their frontpage at Sony USA, and at Sony Style they have their own category, making them very easy to find. So it's not like Sony is trying to hide them.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony is a big company, they make thousands of products. I'm sure the 3D TVs are much more profitable to them than Readers, and that's where they seem to put more effort for now.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I have to agree with parafluie on this one. Sony should have made some statement of sorts, "We are releasing the new Readers on xxx date and in yyy stores." There should be people camping outside the stores waiting for the day to arrive. There should be media coverage of those people and why this product is worth the wait for. There should be parties, mass hysteria and lots of rejoicing!

What do we get? Definately not the fairy tale version of Apple's marketing strategies. For me, I email Borders.com to ask if they will be carrying the new Sony Readers. I get a curt email telling me to check with my local manager. I then go to my local Borders and ask them; they have NO information. Here in San Francisco the Sony Style store closed its door a couple years ago. So that is not an option. Here I am writing on this forum sadly waiting till I can get my new elusive Sony Reader I want so badly to upgrade from the ones that have been using religiously every day since I bought them (500, 505) 3.x years ago.

Please someone at Sony be reading this and make my dream come true! I want Sony to be MORE popular than Apple is. I think you can by a better marketing scheme!

Sincerely,
Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
While Sony has not done much to promote the new readers yet, this may actually be smart of them. Considering how many delays there have been with getting them into stores, and or limited supply problems, they may just be waiting for everything to get into place. It does not make much sense to have a major advertising campaign, when most stores do not have any in stock; even the dedicated Sony stores are still hit or miss with them. I suspect that we will see some advertising in a few weeks. Indeed, they may as well hold off until a little closer to the Christmas season. Most of the die-hards and seriously interested customers like us already know about it from here or other sites.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
parafluie
Enthusiast

Hmm. I rest my case. Low key and no marketing to cover for lousy distribution. Growl. Do you see the big differences in Amazon and iPad? They created excitement for their product. Sony's resting on its laurels and it's reputation for televisions that sell themselves.

Could be you're right and they just want to be also rans and break even. That doesn't ooze confidence. Solitary and I must be . . . well, duetting here!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Sony has never had a problem finding fans for its products

Hell, they still make a walkman
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I agree that Sony has never had a problem with obtaining an audience. I always shop Sony before looking at other products. They are my benchmark for many consumer electronics. I go so far back as to have owned the original Walkman when I was younger.

I understand they could be waiting for shipments to arrive in stores. However there are other companies that can have their products awaiting purchasing on a given date. Take a look at the CD, DVD and Book markets. If they can announce when a given title will be available in stores on a specified date, why can't Sony? Correct me if I am wrong on this one, wasn't there an announcement of sorts that they would be available this month (vague cloud of mystism) at the "opening ceremonies" unveiling of the PRS X50 series?

-Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
parafluie
Enthusiast

Yes, it was a very secretive and mysterious announcement that stirred little attention.

Tags
lousy pr, marketing, no specs, sony 350, sony 650