Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Well ordered mine today!

I should be getting it tomorrow. I ordered mine from ereaderoutfitters.com

Before I ordered it, I went over to Borders and looked at their Sony Ereader. I just wanted to see the screen.

Well I was holding it and said to the person behind the counter:

"Do you have one that works I can try?"

They gave me a funny look and said:

"Um that one works sir, watch this"

Then they touched a few buttons.

It was amazing. It was so thin and the screen so clear.

Felt very solid also.

I can only hope / assume that the Iliad is better then the sony!
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, that's a fairly common first reaction to e-ink, DeathtoToasters, and my personal favorite. It's good news that the Borders folks know enough to answer that question now, they didn't used to.

Glad you've decided, the iLiad is a sweet device for those who want a bit more than just a reading device. General consensus seems to be that the iLiad's display is about the same as the Vizplex that's in a PRS505, perhaps a tiny bit less bright. I haven't seen them side by side, so I can't say of my own knowledge.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, that's a fairly common first reaction to e-ink, DeathtoToasters, and my personal favorite. It's good news that the Borders folks know enough to answer that question now, they didn't used to.

Glad you've decided, the iLiad is a sweet device for those who want a bit more than just a reading device. General consensus seems to be that the iLiad's display is about the same as the Vizplex that's in a PRS505, perhaps a tiny bit less bright. I haven't seen them side by side, so I can't say of my own knowledge.

I thought it turned pages pretty quickly and was not worried about it all. Then I saw a youtube video comparing the sony and the iliad and the iliad was faster. So I am sure I will be happy.

What I am waiting to do most is to transfer my tons of comic books over to it and read those over again....that is VERY exciting to me. Plus my 100+ ebooks and 200+ pdf files

Oh Goodie...and new toy
Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The 505 is faster than the 500 which the iLiad was compared to in the video. But its not a huge difference.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

When speaking to Jeff today at ereaderoutfitters he mentioned that the the issues with screens breaking happen not necessarily when they are dropped or bumped...more from when the whole unit is twisted.

That was a bit more comforting.

I plan on seeing if I can modify the m-edge cover if I can slip a very hard piece of thin metal or high quality plastic between the leather and strengthen the cover. Help hedge my bets....on the stability of the cover.
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've had mine since May and I'm reasonably careful with it, but not obsessively so. It still works-- no screen damage. I think your plan of making the case more rigid is a good idea. I've been considering making a carbon fiber case for mine, based on instructions for an iPod case in Make Magazine.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've got the m-edge case and tore apart a 3 ring binder and inserted one of the hard cardboard sides into the front pocket of the case. It adds a good bit of stability to it. I lay things on the case and stuff it into an over-crowded laptop bag all the time.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
While waiting for your iLiad you may convert your comic books with this tool.
Gogolo

P.S.: I converted 'Akira' with this tool - and it was sooo nice to read this on iLiad

Last edited by Gogolo; 11-28-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote