Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Any chance of Baen Library in lrf format?

Is there any chance that the Baen sf library site will offer ebooks in lrf format?

(Yes, I know conversion is *possible*--although I've read and tried to follow several methods to no avail--but it would be nice to get books directly in lrf format.) Fictionwise now has lrf books, so why not Baen? (I will probably be picking up some ebooks from FW now--after comparing prices to Connect of course. Sometimes one or the other has a better deal.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Is there any chance that the Baen sf library site will offer ebooks in lrf format?
You'll have to make that proposal to Arnold Bailey, who I believe actually does the ebook conversions for the Library.

The reader is supposed to handle RTF files. Have you tried them? They are one of the formats the Library makes available.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I've been using RTF. Just bump up the font size (and maybe select a different font if you prefer) and you're good to go.

You will lose any illustrations, but other than cover art I've never noticed any in my Baen purchases.

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
I've been using RTF. Just bump up the font size (and maybe select a different font if you prefer) and you're good to go.

You will lose any illustrations, but other than cover art I've never noticed any in my Baen purchases.
A number of Free Library titles do contain illustrations, such as maps and drawings of hardware.

I convert the HTML formats for Plucker, which includes such things.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-27-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
lit2lrf works just fine for Baen books. Illustrations, TOC, the whole shebang.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You'll have to make that proposal to Arnold Bailey, who I believe actually does the ebook conversions for the Library.
And considering how busy he stays, I don't know how receptive he'd be to it. An eager individual might, however, make some headway by offering to do the conversions in exchange for, say, a JBU club membership or something.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I have a collection of shell scripts that convert the complete ouvre into lrf (starting from their standard html files) using html2lrf. I've offered them to Arnold twice now, but haven't seen a response.

I think he's been overloaded with getting ready to switch Baen's Bar over from the current web software to a new improved (and partly custom coded) system. It's probably worth trying again sometime early next month.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I have a collection of shell scripts that convert the complete ouvre into lrf (starting from their standard html files) using html2lrf. I've offered them to Arnold twice now, but haven't seen a response.

I think he's been overloaded with getting ready to switch Baen's Bar over from the current web software to a new improved (and partly custom coded) system. It's probably worth trying again sometime early next month.
I too have sent converted samples. I just think they need to hear more interest. I don't think we should host the conversions, that's a clear copyright violation.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
I too have sent converted samples. I just think they need to hear more interest. I don't think we should host the conversions, that's a clear copyright violation.
The Free Library titles do specify "You are welcome to copy and share" The Fifth Imperium web site has all of the Baen CDs included in various hardcovers as zipped collections or ISO images, and Baen has no problem with it. I don't think anyone there would object to hosting Sony Reader conversions here.

I have a query in to Arnold about the conversions, but as mentioned, he's a tad busy at the moment.
______
Dennis
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The Free Library titles do specify "You are welcome to copy and share"
Yes they do, but I consider a conversion like we're talking about to be a bit different than what they specify in their permission statement -- we're not talking about just copying and sharing them, but rather format shifting and sharing.

I'd want to have some sort of specific permission from them for that step, just because it's not quite what they're talking about.

Baen is so very open minded and supportive in this area, it makes me want to be especially considerate of their wishes and interests.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
lit2lrf works just fine for Baen books. Illustrations, TOC, the whole shebang.
Been there, tried that, none of the libprs500 stuff has worked for me at all. I simply don't want to waste more time wading through posts/threads, etc., posting Q's, dl'ing stuff, getting more errors, and trying to figure it out.

I might try the RTF versions. Also, any headway in getting permission to convert and post lrf versions of the free books here would be *most* welcome. If anyone in the NYC area helps out here, the beer's on me!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Also, any headway in getting permission to convert and post lrf versions of the free books here would be *most* welcome. If anyone in the NYC area helps out here, the beer's on me!
I have a query in to the chap responsible for the ebooks at Baen, but as noted, he's in the middle of rolling out a replacement for their forum software, so I don't expect a quick response.

And I'll hold you to the beer offer.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-05-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Edited when I should have quoted...
Old 09-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Been there, tried that, none of the libprs500 stuff has worked for me at all.
Try this:
1) download .lit file
2) drag&drop it on lit2lrf.exe (in libprs500 folder)
3) wait
4) find the .lrf next to the .lit
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Try this:
1) download .lit file
2) drag&drop it on lit2lrf.exe (in libprs500 folder)
3) wait
4) find the .lrf next to the .lit
I already told him that; also , the LRF is not created in the same directory (at least when I do it).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Been there, tried that, none of the libprs500 stuff has worked for me at all. I simply don't want to waste more time wading through posts/threads, etc., posting Q's, dl'ing stuff, getting more errors, and trying to figure it out.

I might try the RTF versions. Also, any headway in getting permission to convert and post lrf versions of the free books here would be *most* welcome. If anyone in the NYC area helps out here, the beer's on me!
What happens when you try lit2lrf?

Do you have Python 2.5 installed along with Python 2.5 element tree?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote