Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
Backlist Ebooks--A source for inexpensive author-published out of print books!

(This is from today's blog by my Evil Twin Pamela Burford because I can't say it better myself.)

“Where Can I Find Your Out-of-Print Books?”

Every author who’s been around long enough gets asked that question, and many of us have responded by self-publishing the books we have rights back to online as ebooks, at prices significantly lower than the original print-version prices. About a gazillion ebooks are now offered on sites such as Kindle Store and Smashwords, both previously print-published books and original electronic books. Sifting through all the choices can be a daunting task for readers looking for books by authors with a proven track record.

The good news? There’s a new page on Facebook devoted to bringing together authors who have published their out-of-print books in electronic format, and the readers who are eager to get their hands on those republished books. Here’s the description from the Backlist Ebooks page:

“We’re print-published authors who have released our out-of-print backlist titles as reasonably priced ebooks. Our Wall has announcements of new projects; check out the page tabs for the books we’ve put into e-vailability.”

The Backlist Ebooks page is well thought out and easy to navigate. The Authors tab lists participating authors (the number keeps growing), along with links to their websites and books. The Genres tab tells you who writes what kind of book. My favorite is the Resources tab, which provides valuable info about ebooks, where to buy them, what equipment you’ll need to read them (a computer is sufficient, no special player needed), and the various formats available.

This line from the info tab says it all: “We’d like to create a thriving backlist ebook community.” I’m very excited about connecting with readers and other authors on the Backlist Ebooks Facebook page.

I'd like to add that we've got New York Times and USA Today bestselling author participating, as well as major award winners. Drop by Backlist Ebooks and check us out!
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Vertigo
Enthusiast
Vertigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
That's great, it would be nice if more authors did this. One interesting thing (and with apologies to Lee Goldberg), that seems to be a very single sex list of authors. I wonder why male authors haven't joined in greater numbers?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Great idea, Patricia! My only complaint is that Facebook is blocked at my workplace, and I know I am not the only one who has such a restriction. Will I get email updates once I sign up?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Thank you for the link!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Sounds great! Let us know when male authors sign up!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Great idea, Patricia! My only complaint is that Facebook is blocked at my workplace, and I know I am not the only one who has such a restriction. Will I get email updates once I sign up?
Gak! Facebook...

I am really resisting the additional distractions of Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter...I spend too much time on this forum and my few remaining email lists as it is!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Sounds great except that it is on Facebook...I don't do FB. Looks like it will only let me connect to the Wall page without being signed in. Too bad you don't have a blog or website that everyone can get to.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
Sounds great except that it is on Facebook...I don't do FB.
Me neither.

Why on earth not use Smashwords or similar?
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Gak! Facebook...
Quote:
Sounds great except that it is on Facebook...I don't do FB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Me neither.
I don't do this new-fangled intarweebs thing. Oh, wait!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I'd have to agree on Smashwords. That gets you into all the major ebookstores (at least, if Amazon ever unblocks access) with one upload and it handles all the payments. FB sounds like a major hassle (not to mention locking so much of the potential audience out, since people go to bookstores to buy books, not social networks where they prefer peeking at the lives of others).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Sounds great except that it is on Facebook...I don't do FB. Looks like it will only let me connect to the Wall page without being signed in. Too bad you don't have a blog or website that everyone can get to.
Same for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Me neither.

Why on earth not use Smashwords or similar?
I think their books are on smashwords and/or amazon. The FB page is just a way to list them all in one place to make it easier to find them. Wonderful idea, but as someone else mentioned, it blocks out a whole segment of people who don't use FB
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
That's great, it would be nice if more authors did this. One interesting thing (and with apologies to Lee Goldberg), that seems to be a very single sex list of authors. I wonder why male authors haven't joined in greater numbers?
Actually, there's a query from another male author in my inbox right now.

I think (I hope) the gender discrepency will even out as more authors discover us. We've only been live for a few days, and have recruited authors from published author groups that happen to have more female than male members (most seem to). But now that we're off and running, we're casting our net wide, and are hopeful that we'll end up with a large group of authors of both sexes, from diverse genres.

Pat
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

THE FACEBOOK ISSUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
To Ficbot and others who either can't access Facebook or don't care to (I get it, trust me): The Facebook fan page is an interim measure until we can get our website, which will be our main platform, off the ground. In the interest of publishing the most professional-looking and well-organized site possible, we're waiting until a particular designer is available to build it for us. It could take as much as six months, although I dearly hope it will be ready sooner than that.

You asked about email updates, Ficbot. Let me check on that and get back to you (I'll post the answer here).

Pat
Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Ryan View Post
A But now that we're off and running, we're casting our net wide, and are hopeful that we'll end up with a large group of authors of both sexes, from diverse genres.
Thank you for using the word sex rather than gender! There's an old saying which perhaps you've heard: People have sex, words have gender.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote