Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to cable or satellite television?
Yes, I enjoy watching cable TV shows. 20 29.41%
Yes, because the reception is so poor where I live that I can't get anything without it. 7 10.29%
Yes, I wouldn't, but other members of my family insist upon it. 1 1.47%
Yes, for another reason (please state). 10 14.71%
No, I'm not very interested in television. 15 22.06%
No, cable TV is just too expensive! 6 8.82%
No, for another reason (please state). 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I have Satellite TV, and the reason is that I want to see channels from foreign countries, for various reasons: to improve my English, to see Dr Who ( :P ), and to see some TV show that doesn't suck. Yes, Italian TV channels suck donkey's balls. Channels from the rest of the world aren't always gold, but they suck a little less.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
No, for another reason (please state).

No television in our home for the past 20+ years.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The results have not been what I expected!

I'm surprised we haven't seen a lot of people say that the time most people spend watching TV they spend reading (so the money for cable wouldn't be worth it).
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I'm surprised we haven't seen a lot of people say that the time most people spend watching TV they spend reading (so the money for cable wouldn't be worth it).
I've always found it a very narrow-minded attitude for people who think that television (and movies) can't be a worthy, valid form of expression, entertainment, and art. They are even gleeful to admit that they own no TV. (Like the post above yours-- there should be an internet law that, as any discussion of TV grows longer, the chances of someone showing up to declare their pride at owning no TV approaches 100 percent.) Sure, most TV shows and most movies are garbage-- but so are most books. You have to pick and choose what you consider to be worth your time. If you shut yourself out entirely from an entire medium, you are screwing yourself out of a lot of worthy material.

Last edited by ardeegee; 08-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I've always found it a very narrow-minded attitude for people who think that television (and movies) can't be a worthy, valid form of expression, entertainment, and art. They are even gleeful to admit that they own no TV. (Like the post above yours-- there should be an internet law that, as any discussion of TV grows longer, the chances of someone showing up to declare their pride at owning no TV approaches 100 percent.) Sure, most TV shows and most movies are garbage-- but so are most books. You have to pick and choose what you consider to be worth your time. If you shut yourself out entirely from an entire medium, you are screwing yourself out of a lot of worthy material.
Very nicely put. There is a lot of reverse snobbery attached to watching TV.

Personally I do watch TV and have satellite. Sure, there's a lot of rubbish on there but there's also a fair amount I enjoy (sport, some films, things like House, Dr Who, Top Gear and Sherlock and the news).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
It could be the fact that the number of people that sit on their asses and watch television all day greatly outnumber the amount of people that spend the same amount of time (if any) reading. Reading would be a problem if more people were actually doing it. I support the snobs.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #37
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Sadly I am one of Murdoch's minnions and have Sky - however, in my defence I cannot do without Bones on Sky1, NCIS on FX or Ben 10 on CN. I do refuse however, to pay for sport or films, the pub or my mum does me for sport and films I get elsewhere. I do have broadband, and a telephone call package also - but they are just good business sense.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Very nicely put. There is a lot of reverse snobbery attached to watching TV.

Personally I do watch TV and have satellite. Sure, there's a lot of rubbish on there but there's also a fair amount I enjoy (sport, some films, things like House, Dr Who, Top Gear and Sherlock and the news).
Love Top Gear! I actually like a lot of BBC programs (not so much the series). I also like the Hairy Bikers, but find them a bit hard to understand at times (they don't exactly speak clear and accent-less )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #39
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Love Top Gear! I actually like a lot of BBC programs (not so much the series). I also like the Hairy Bikers, but find them a bit hard to understand at times (they don't exactly speak clear and accent-less )

To be fair Sweetpea, I'm English and can barely understand the Hairy Bikers - for such a small isle our regional accents are very extreme! Oh for the old BBC English pronounciation.........
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #40
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Comcast subscriber here . . .

for both TV and Internet. I'm in a bit of transition though, I watch a lot of "On Demand" TV, but now, I find that I'm downloading the same content from the Comcast website.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #41
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Start of the damn digital introduction in this neck of the woods, gotta re-tune the boxes and re-load the programmes to record ... and then repeat in two weeks time !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #42
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I hardly ever watch TV. There's not much that interest me, and I've gotten completely out of habit with it. Even if I remember to check the timetables, I very often forget watching it anyway - or I'm just doing something more interesting at the moment. I love movies though, that's the main reason why I own a TV.

No cable or satellite here, but the option of paying for digital channels. And then we have about 4-5 decent, free national channels. In comparison to how little I watch TV, paying for it is not worth the expense for me. Which means fewer options of anything interesting, which means I watch less TV, etc. Wash, rinse and repeat
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #43
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
To be fair Sweetpea, I'm English and can barely understand the Hairy Bikers - for such a small isle our regional accents are very extreme! Oh for the old BBC English pronounciation.........
Yes! When I watch British films, I usually have to turn on the subtitles - some regional accents can be really difficult for a foreign ear - or just a plummy upper-class accent. Hollywood productions tend to be much easier to understand (I guess that's on purpose).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #44
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
No to both cable and satellite, as both options are too expensive, plus I don't want to pay for all of the channels I have no interest in. I would love an ala carte option where I could just pay for the Food Channel, Animal Planet (Discovery?), History Channel and HGTV, oh and the Sci-Fi Channel! If they ever went to such a plan, it would be my luck that the ala carte options would be more expensive and cheaper to get the all-inclusive junk option!
How would you know which channels were the ones you wanted to buy, if you didn't have them to sample? I always wonder that when people say they wish they could pick and choose the channels they get. I have TiVo, so I either watch the shows I'm interested in, or if "live" I look at other channels to see what kinds of shows they have that might interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I read when I can't watch TV. It is a big reason why I have an ebook reader -- so much more easier for all those places that I can't take my television!

I'm not sure how to answer the poll -- maybe other? -- since I have satellite more for the movies and network shows than for the cable shows.

I've watched TV over the internet, and it is fussy compared to just watching something on TV -- if I was going to fuss with it that much, I'd be better off renting the DVDs. I'm a time shifter -- have been since I got my first TV that I didn't share with my parents -- and I'm not tied to the networks' schedules to watch the shows I want to see.

My husband and I were talking about giving up our satellite because there are so many resources for shows, but in the end, we decided we use it enough to be worth the expense.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #45
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
i rather read or play video games than spend time watching tv...
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote