Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iTunes 9.2 Adds Option to Turn off Auto Sync of New Apps

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/19/itune...c-of-new-apps/
Quote:
We already told you about iTunes 9.2 being released, but there was a little new feature in there which may have escaped your notice. At the bottom of the list of apps that you can install on your iDevice is a checkbox to automatically sync new apps.

This has been the default behavior of iTunes, but you are now able to turn it off if you don't want apps to be automatically sync'd to your iDevices.
This is a small issue, but anyone who has more than one iDevice on one account may have noticed that whenever any one device adds a new app, iTunes adds it to all the iDevices on that account. In other words, when I first plugged in my iPad...it automatically dumped all my iPhone apps that were on my iPhone onto it as well..and I had to go back and get rid of 90% of them
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
It's a nice feature, but I wish they had made it more granular. I'd like the option to auto-sync universal and/or iPad-only apps to the iPad while excluding iPhone apps, for instance. Oh well, maybe in 9.3.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
It's a nice feature, but I wish they had made it more granular. I'd like the option to auto-sync universal and/or iPad-only apps to the iPad while excluding iPhone apps, for instance. Oh well, maybe in 9.3.
Definitely, Trubu!

I'd also like a more reliable "updated apps available" in iTunes, without having to have to check manually all the time (I usually only update thru iTunes, not thru the iPhone or iPad).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'd like an easy way to tell if an app is for one platform or universal, and i'd like a way to organize and manage them better in iTunes itself. Let's get iTunes some "folders". Ugh. I have some 1500 apps and trying to remember and find something I'm looking for is a total pain.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Not perfect, but I'll take it......

I am one that is is a major improvement for. With 3 idevice on the same computer/iTunes account, this is a time saver. Progress forward, and that is good.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i'd like an easy way to tell if an app is for one platform or universal,
In iTunes, in the App section, there are 3 "view" buttons at the top (in order, L to R): List, Icon, Cover Flow.

If you select Icon (the middle button) all the apps get sorted into various categories, so you can identify which kind they are. Here's mine:

iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps
iPhone and iPod Touch Apps
iPad Apps
iPod Games - iPod Nano (3rd, 4th, and 5th generations), iPod Classic, and iPod (5th Generation)
iPod Games - iPod (5th Generation)

Is this what you were looking for?
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

ahh. thanks. i looked at the icon view once long ago, found it messy, and never went back.

i'd still prefer some way to sort them in list view, or even better let me organize them into groupings of my own. but at least i know what is what.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
i'd like an easy way to tell if an app is for one platform or universal, and i'd like a way to organize and manage them better in iTunes itself. Let's get iTunes some "folders". Ugh. I have some 1500 apps and trying to remember and find something I'm looking for is a total pain.

The first step is admitting that you have an App Store problem.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

well after 3 years of the app store, hard not to collect so many. and many many of those are freebies i download once, try, then delete out of my iphone. it's been so long though it's hard to tell what's good and what's junk.

there are a few useful web sites out there that alert you to when there is a price drop or free offering on an app, really handy if they don't have a trial available. then there are a few i've spent a few bucks on and they turn out to be turkeys.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
i'd still prefer some way to sort them in list view,
Ask and ye shall receive…

Chose List view (first icon).
Select the View Menu
Choose View Options
Check the "Kind" box
All apps now show what kind of app they are.
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

lol. thanks. i really should play around with itunes more but i really can't stand it for organizing this content. soundjam was meant to play mp3 files and that's it. itunes has turned into frankenapp.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
This is great for me. My son uses my account for all his ipod touch apps. Tired have having to manually check and make sure ifart and the likes don't make it to my phone.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote