Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
dotReader alpha release next month with future iLiad support possible

Here is a tantalizing piece of news from David of TeleRead, reporting that the first alpha release of the much-hyped dotReader is scheduled for October 2006. Initially only Windows users will have the pleasure to try out the new open-source reader, while users of other platforms - including Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Linux and Mac - will have to wait till later this year or early next.

It's very interesting to see how the reader performs as it will the first of its kind to use the OpenReader format, one of the two e-book formats currently striving for becoming the new standard.

iLiad users can cheer up since there is a possiblity that dotReader will become available on their platform as well. David:

Quote:
While dotReader hasn't been tested yet on the iLiad, Mark and his crack tech guy, Gary Varnell, have gotten their hands on one and are all set to cooperate with iRex if/when the signal is given from Holland. Within a few months, iLiad owners could finally enjoy relief from PDF's slowness.

But so far there are no guarantees this will happen. If you want to see iRex Technologies adopt the dotReader as the iLiad's preferred open source document application, contact iRex directly with your request.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks, Alex! You've gone a great job of capturing the highlights. Let's hope that MobileRead readers will speak up to iRex via the contact link you provided. Oh, how I'd enjoy an iLiad/dotReader combo!

Cheers,
David
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
My pleasure, David. And all the best for the start next month.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
well, I hope dotreader will really be a good reader...:-)

iRex will hear about this from me, and I hope they'll contact you and your team about the co-development. They'll probably want to wait for their main OS to get complete before they start looking into third party software, but maybe we can give them a nudge to speed things up...

UPDATE:

I just opened a poll on the iRex forums...maybe this is the best way to alert iRex to our interest (or not) in the DotReader implementation.

Go here to vote and comment.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
...maybe we can give them a nudge to speed things up....
Surely they could at least start talking (if they so chose) even before the OS is finalized....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Many thanks to you too, Roland! iRex has some wonderful people, and OSoft has been in touch with 'em for months, so a prompt and positive decision would be helpful. Getting dotReader on the iLiad would be a very wise use of company resources. Thanks again. David
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:34 AM   #7
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Hi,

I don't know how good this reader will be, and of course how many formats it will support or how easily we can get or buy books in this format to read. I am also waiting for it and happy with this to get onto the iLiad.
I have to mention, however, that with the current 2.6.1 version of the software, I don't feel the slowness of the iLiad's PDF. It is probably close to fine for a handheld device. And I need PDF very much, because all my works are in PDF and I have many PDFs from different sources. So I would say PDF is not slow, only it is not lightning fast.

Anyway, good luck with this software too!!!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

so, before i cast my vote regarding dotreader on the iliad,
what payment would osoft require from irex to do this job?
and how much would that add to the cost of each machine?

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote