Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #196
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyonwheels View Post
thanks, but do you have a link to the washington DC library, assuming they still allow nonresidents?
It's on the Wiki page with many others: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #197
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Washington DC Library Card Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Curiously, the Washington, DC library did not charge me anything although I am clearly a nonresident and indicated that on my online application. I received a library card number in an email immediately and have just downloaded Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut to my Reader. I love libraries!
Have they charged you since? I just applied for a card and although the web site indicated that I could do this as an out of state defendant (for a fee) the email giving me a password said that the card number and password will only last a month, after which I must appear in person with an ID. Did this happen to you and how did it work out?

ejereader
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #198
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
Have they charged you since? I just applied for a card and although the web site indicated that I could do this as an out of state defendant (for a fee) the email giving me a password said that the card number and password will only last a month, after which I must appear in person with an ID. Did this happen to you and how did it work out?

ejereader
I was never charged but the next time I tried to use card number, it failed. I have not tried again.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #199
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I was never charged but the next time I tried to use card number, it failed. I have not tried again.
I just called them when the card stopped working soon after I got the card number and they reactivated it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #200
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
There is no charge for the online temporary card. It expires in 30 days. You will then need to visit a local DC library in person. If you live in the surrounding area, they do not charge you for the card.

I live in Virginia. Drove to the Martin Luther King, Jr. branch library one Saturday morning. Had my DC library card in less than 5 minutes. (took me 15 minutes to park the car and 40 minutes to drive to the library).

Love their ebook availability.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #201
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
It boggles my mind how there isn't a world wide public digital library out there yet.
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #202
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
It boggles my mind how there isn't a world wide public digital library out there yet.
Funding?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #203
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Funding?
I am not an economics guru here, but.. the same way normal libraries are funded?
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #204
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
I am not an economics guru here, but.. the same way normal libraries are funded?
Normal libraries are funded by local taxes. Are you suggesting a world wide tax? There is world wide libraries available but they are not free. Check the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #205
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
I haven't read all the threads, here and am a new member. (though hardly new to the gadget world!). I have an Asus T91MT which I convert to tablet mode and is my new dedicated e-reader. I use Kindle for PC and am going to add Adobe Digital Editions (which I have on my Mac desktop and my other netbook) to my new Asus Tablet netbook. I have about 15 books overall, most through Kindle/Amazon, and two through e-books.com that use Adobe Digital Editions but also allow me to access them online.My county library system has audiobooks, but so far, not a digital lending library. But, I will keep my eyes open.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #206
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Funding

Response from my local librarian regarding the lack of ebooks.

Dear Nelson,
Thank you for your comments. Our library and the other members of the XXXXXXXXXX Regional Library system are aware of the popularity of digital ebooks. Unfortunately, in today's economic climate the public libraries do not have the level of funding to offer these resources to the public. Perhaps in the next fiscal year (beginning July 2010) we will have funds to do so, and to offer access (once again) to also popular downloadable audio books.
Thank you again for your interest.
Susan XXXXXXXXX
Librarian
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #207
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Response from my local librarian regarding the lack of ebooks.

Dear Nelson,
Thank you for your comments. Our library and the other members of the XXXXXXXXXX Regional Library system are aware of the popularity of digital ebooks. Unfortunately, in today's economic climate the public libraries do not have the level of funding to offer these resources to the public. Perhaps in the next fiscal year (beginning July 2010) we will have funds to do so, and to offer access (once again) to also popular downloadable audio books.
Thank you again for your interest.
Susan XXXXXXXXX
Librarian
That is a bunch of hooey. The audiobooks cost more then the eBooks and if you look in the catalog, you will find a lot of audiobooks on CD in their collection. They should stop the downloadable audiobooks in favor of eBooks.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #208
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
New Hampshire Libraries now have ebooks (epub). You login by picking town/library name and then enter your library card number. I guess that way its cheaper for the individual libraries. You can only checkout 3 books at a time and only 5 books on hold but heh, its better than nothing!
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #209
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a bunch of hooey. The audiobooks cost more then the eBooks and if you look in the catalog, you will find a lot of audiobooks on CD in their collection. They should stop the downloadable audiobooks in favor of eBooks.
Does the Library System have to pay a fee to Overdrive?
If so, is it cost prohibitive?
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The library's do have to (at least) buy the content they are lending out. I do not know if there are any other fees involved.