Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Good Android forums?

I'm new to the Android world and need pointers to a few good Android forums. What I want to learn about is a rather extensive area, and not reading related, so it's maybe not MR-appropriate; but I think y'all can give me references to high-quality forums.

If it matters, I'd like to configure the OS on my Nexus 7 towards support for strong privacy and security, and replace the core standard apps with apps that also support those goals. That's what I'd like to dig into with forum members' help.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
androidforums.com would be your best bet. Maybe in the general Android area of XDA-Developers too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My first thought is XDA for more technical stuff if you have a popular handset there is probably a few sub forums there.

I also tend to check on the verges Googleplex forum and the android subreddit coincidently I never touched reddit until a few weeks ago when I tried out an app called flow for reddit now I've been browsing it for all kinds of stories and info it's an amazing timewaster.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Android central.com
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I quite like phandroid.com (also called Android Phone), their forum is pretty good.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I like http://www.androidcentral.com
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks, folks. These should be a big help.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All the sites mentioned so far are walled-gardens with compulsory registration, and most of them are censorship-prone.

Phandroid in particular - lots of hostility, and power tripping mods. Also, you're looking for privacy and security, but the phandroid crowd's philosophy is along the lines of --> if you need privacy you must be paranoid and you're probably doing something nefarious.

I suggest the usenet newsgroup comp.mobile.android. There is no censorship there, no registration, and no spam. You can post freely from an open nntp server like aioe.org, for example, or you can post anonymously using mixmaster.

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 12-16-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I use android central.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
er_deivid
er_deivid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Calibre
I use XDA, but it depends on what are you looking for.
er_deivid is offline   Reply With Quote