Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How fast can you tear through a book?
People still read? I'm all about the audiobooks 1 2.56%
Less than 200 wpm 2 5.13%
200 - 350 wpm 7 17.95%
350 - 500wpm 13 33.33%
500 - 650 wpm 5 12.82%
650 - 850 wpm 5 12.82%
Googol wpm 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
What's Your Reading Speed

I've been using a program called AceReader to try to get my reading speed up, I finally got to ~430wpm consistently. I was wondering what everyone's reading speeds were and if you had any special insider secrets to speed reading. This is like the 5th time I've tried to learn speed reading but now its finally starting to stick a bit better. I'm still trying to get over the subvocalization, that's killer but I feel like I'm not absorbing the information if I'm not reading it to myself in my head

Cheers
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I haven't even tried to track it (not even sure how to figure it out), but it's pretty fast. I blame it on the ADHD. I definitely do not absorb as much as others might (spelling/grammar errors not included), and I notice that when I read I'll deliberately skip areas of unimportance.

So maybe it isn't such a good thing to read too fast
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

A lot of it depends on the material for me, I can sit back and read a 300 page fiction novel in one day if its interesting but I seem to read news articles really slowly. I'm trying to get my speed and comprehension up across the board so everything gets better but about 60% of the time I forget to try to speed read and just read regularly.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I read about 300-400 WPM, by choice. That's a speed that I "feel there" at for pleasure reading. I can read much faster, and do so at need professionally, but not by choice..
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I haven't tested my reading speed for a while. I classify it as "fast", particularly when I'm reading fiction. I do *not* strive for maximum retention of details. Rather, I just enjoy the story. When I've finished the book, I move on to the next.
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm generally a slow reader, I 'spot' each word individually and subvocalise - that's the most enjoyable reading mode for me. It gives me more time to detail the mental image, and savour the emotional ride.

For dull reading (e.g. at work) I can 'spot' word groups, and not vocalise in order to read faster; but it's a continual effort, and not pleasant for me.

Dictator is a freeware app for reading Gutenberg texts that can also be used to test reading speed.
"Dictator provides an alternative approach called Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) in which words are displayed consecutively in the same place at a user-controllable rate."
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
I am a fast reader. I don't know how many wpm it would translate too. I don't subvocalise at all and have quite a good memory. I can still remember the better part of every book I have read. I only wish my memory was as good for things unwritten. I also suffer from a condition I lovingly refer to as mims. My Inside Movie Screen. I have a far to active imagination. It is great when I am reading, not so great when my boss or some one similar is trying to give heck for something.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read kinda fast, and can read a 300page pbook in a about 2-3 hours if its a gripping tale. I read mostly by word shape assosiation ( I look at the shape of the words rather than the actual word, and ignore the smaller words -and, the, but etc) and rarely subvocalise. I have a vivid imagination, and 'cos of the way I read, I suck at spelling and grammar. I have been kicked out of speed reading courses (cos I beat the instructor), BUT, when I am racing, I retain very very little.

For retention , 300 pages in 4 hours is about average.

on the plus side, I can read a novel on the day before I see it's movie version....but I read nearly 15 - 20 books a month. (18 last mnth) I read faster on an E-device, PDA or Kindle at the moment.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I just did a quick online search for a online test and found http://www.readingsoft.com/

Did their reading speed test and apparently I read at 308wpm with a 100% comprehension. Although I don't know how good their test is, especially since they are in it to sell some software.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
hmm, 622 for english, which is not my native language...

cheers,
kaas
Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I just did a quick online search for a online test and found http://www.readingsoft.com/
A nice little test, trying to sell their software, but probably gives an indication.

411wpm, 100%.

Reading up on speed reading (which I hadn't before) it seems to be a bit of a pseudo-science, with snake oil salesmen everywhere.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Definitely very fast. I did a literature degree which included Old English (pre 1066) and a lot of mediaeval literature, as well as a lot of poetry etc. I now find reading novels written recently don't take long to read. I find that I can read several novels in a day when I have the time.

I have to admit that I have a habit of reading gripping books twice though, once to find out what happens because when I get really into a book I have to know and start reading even faster, and once to get every last detail from it!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I'm not sure what my current reading speed is these days. I'm pretty sure it has slowed down drastically as my reading has dropped off over the years. In my younger days I usually read a typical length novel in about 4 hours and read at least a book a day.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No hurry here. I chose 200, just because I might possibly be the world's slowest reading bookworm.

Go Speed Readers! Go!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
junkyardwillie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A nice little test, trying to sell their software, but probably gives an indication.

411wpm, 100%.

Reading up on speed reading (which I hadn't before) it seems to be a bit of a pseudo-science, with snake oil salesmen everywhere.
I got 406wpm, 100% on that test but I guessed two of the answers so those really shouldn't be considered correct.

I've seen so many different books and theories on speed reading and some of them seem like its impossible to work but it must work for some people I guess. There is one that is called photo reading or something like that where you stare at a page until your eyes almost cross and you flip through the book like that spending about 3 seconds on each page. Supposedly your mind can still decipher the text and when you are done you flip back through the book and where ever you feel like you should stop you should stop because its your unconscious mind telling you that there is important information in that portion of the text. That one was a bit odd I thought .

The stuff like using your finger to pace yourself and humming in your head to stop subvocalization were more reasonable but apparently you can read up to about 600wpm while still subvocalizing, if I could get up to that I'd be fine. When I did my first speed reading tests a couple weeks back I was in the mid-200s so getting to my high 300s has been good, I have so much stuff to read I wish I could just plug a usb cord in my head and upload it all directly. Maybe Apple will come out with an iMind app
Closed Thread