Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And the refund or chargeback would be against Discover, not Zinio, as that is who the subscription was bought from.
That isn't actually clear to me, actually. I suspect the actual charge was done by Zinio (otherwise, there wouldn't be much incentive for Discover to be passing it on to them, really). But yeah, the refund or chargeback would be on whoever processed the charge.

Quote:
I've subscribed to several magazines directly through Zinio with no issues at all, as have several other posters to the thread.
I suspect that the real issue is, indeed, with Discover, not Zinio. But it's certainly in Zinio's interest to get it resolved, as well, because it won't help their reputation any. And I'll bet they'll have a much easier time getting hold of someone at Discover who can actually resolve it.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
That isn't actually clear to me, actually. I suspect the actual charge was done by Zinio (otherwise, there wouldn't be much incentive for Discover to be passing it on to them, really).
Looking at the subscription page on the Discover website, it does appear that the initial money goes to Discover, not to Zinio. There are three subscription options on the page; for paper, digital, and combo paper & digital. However, there is only one payment option for all three subscription options.

http://subscribe.discovermagazine.com/
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
have you sampled National Geographic?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Looking at the subscription page on the Discover website, it does appear that the initial money goes to Discover, not to Zinio. There are three subscription options on the page; for paper, digital, and combo paper & digital. However, there is only one payment option for all three subscription options.

http://subscribe.discovermagazine.com/
It only implies that through lack of actually saying anything specific. It does say "through our partnership with Zinio," though.

Perhaps the OP can clarify.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Here's today chapter of my story....

As info, the charge on the credit card is from Discover, not Zinio.

I called Discover customer service today and they were TOTALLY unsympathetic. I was told that "eventually" I would get an email from Zinio. They could not tell me if that would be within 1 day or one year. When I told them I got NO emails they could of cared less. I asked if they could send me another email, answer was no. I suggested that a "thank you" page from the cart could possibly tell the customer what would happen next. (ie: delivery would be by Zinio and to expect an email from them in 3 days to 4 weeks.) this "senior" customer service rep said "well, I don't know about that."

She said when the next issue comes out, AND when Zinio gets the order from discover, then my subscription would "go live." I asked why they didn't start the subscripton with the latest already released issue. She said people complained. I told her that I thought the marketing people would probably prefer at least providing the option to start with current released issue so renewal would come a month earlier. That the Kalmbach accountants would like it.. She more or less laughed at my suggestion.

So... I guess now I just wait, hoping I get an email from Zinio. I guess if I don't hear anything in six weeks I'll do a cc dispute.

And I thought an advantage of going "digital" was all about "instant access" I can go down to the drug store and buy one without having to wait for the NEW ONE to come out!

Last edited by 1611mac; 01-17-2013 at 06:44 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
So... I guess now I just wait, hoping I get an email from Zinio. I guess if I don't hear anything in six weeks I'll do a cc dispute.
Call your bank and verify that you can after that long. Most have a 30 day limit (though it's generally 30 days after you get the statement).

It's not unheard of for scam artists to stall for long enough that you can't dispute the charge any more, then just ignore you. (No, I do not think that discover is doing that, nor do i think they are, in any way, scam artists, but that doesn't raise the possiblity of you getting screwed out of your money by your own bank's policies and their crappy service.)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Here's today chapter of my story....

And I thought an advantage of going "digital" was all about "instant access" I can go down to the drug store and buy one without having to wait for the NEW ONE to come out!
Are you really that desparate to get this magazine digitally? I would immediately call my bank and have them cancel the pymt! That is simply unacceptable service they take your money and you have NOTHING to show for it. You're good, it will never be me getting taken for a ride like the one you're on!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The charge back will be to whomever your credit card issuer paid.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I read the post, it isn't Zinio's issue.
They aren't saying they they can't deliver the magazine, they are saying that Discover might not pass the order on to them at all for a month, so they know nothing about it.
That is purely a Discover issue, no point shouting at Zinio about it.
And the refund or chargeback would be against Discover, not Zinio, as that is who the subscription was bought from.
-snip-
OP here... I agree 100%. My complaint is 100% with Discover. Zinio has nothing to do with it until Discover forwards the order to them.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
1611mac
eWanderer

Oh.. I forget to update... In my call to Zinio (to see if they had the order from Discover) the customer service rep told me they would pub a complimentary copy of Discover in my library. Today "it" showed up but it wasn't "Discover".... it was "Dwelling." Oh well, guess I'll learn to love Dwelling...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use Pulse for my magazine content. Granted, you don't get full issues; but it is free and satisfies my needs. Other similar services are Google Currents and Flipboard.

edit: Discover Magazine is one of the magazines available on Pulse.
Thanks for these tubemonkey... I've downloaded all.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes, we are far from 'there' with magazines on eReaders.

that's why I've yet to subscribe to any as much as I'd like to. They just don't work.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #28
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I get National Geographic through Zinio on my iPad and The Economist and Foreign Policy on my Kindle.
Delivery of NatGeo is a couple of days slower than in stores... but it's no big deal to me. The Kindle magazines are delivered on time. I really like all of those and would never go back to print (had many more delivery issues with subscriptions - and more delays).
The industry is still in flux and not everyone is getting it right... But I guess I got lucky with the magazines I read.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:

I used to work in Visa customer service for a major Canadian bank, then in card fraud. I have a pretty good understanding of the rules. Note that the rules are set by Visa International and are, to the best of my knowledge, the same for all Visa issuers. No harm in checking with your bank, though.

The only grounds for dispute you would have would be non-delivery of the goods or services you paid for. The tricky part is that there is a limit to how long you have to dispute it. Depending on the product, it can be 60-70 days, typically. For items or services that are to be delivered to the client, the clock usually starts ticking 30 days AFTER the promised delivery date. They don't want to be doing a bunch of chargebacks on merchants just because something is delayed a day or two.

Now, here's the thing. You may need to prove when they said it was going to be delivered. Do you have anything in writing? If not, make sure you write down all the details of your phone conversation, including agent name/ID number.

All the above notwithstanding, contact your bank to see if their rules vary. They may provide something above the minimum required. Also, if the amount of the charge is low enough (and it probably is), they may not even go through the chargeback process. They may simply write it off because it is cheaper and easier. If that's the case, they may be willing to do it sooner. Don't ask them to write it off. You still have to tell them you want to dispute "goods not received."

Last edited by BadBilly; 01-25-2013 at 03:11 AM.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yes charge backs have very strict rules. One for merchants is that any refunds of a charge must go back on the same charge account.
A former customer of mine bought a $4,500.00 ring on her Visa Card. She returned it and wanted the refund in cash. I informed her that it was against Visa's rules and I would have to refund it to her card. She got highly incensed and told me that her bank allowed it and she did it all the time and she was going to complain to them. I let her know that I would contact Visa and double check with them. I did and as I knew and expected they would not allow it. The woman was committing fraud. Her card gave her points for travel and getting a cash refund allowed her to keep points she was not entitled to. This was stealing even though in her mind it wasn't.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote