Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #346
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Uh Oh.

Forgive him, for he knows not what he agrees with.
Mama! mama! they are attacking me!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #347
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Uh Oh.

Forgive him, for he knows not what he agrees with.
you too, kennyc get a karma so I can give Tom is due.

Last edited by beppe; 04-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #348
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Cicero.
What a bunch of well read people!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #349
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Aristotle's Rhetoric is not unduly long. Why not nominate the whole book?
I guessed Plato... Close.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #350
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I guessed Plato... Close.
Very close. I count you with the bunch of those very well read people.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #351
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Hi, heroic Norse woman!

Do you just just read (meaning looking at the pictures) about the art of French cooking or you carry on all the assignments?

The "old stuff" I am thinking about is translated in English and we have it on MR. And it is much easier to read than the ancient Greek stuff you were promoting before. Let me give you an excerpt.
And whats wrong with Aristofanes?

As for the cookbook its an oldfashioned one without photos. I actually *gasp* read it Well, I read the general information sections and skim the recipes. you should look up Julia Child on Wikipedia
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #352
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Very close. I count you with the bunch of those very well read people.
Thats mighty generous of you, Sor. Thank you

Especially given that Platons Symposion is the only thing I know well of the classical literature...
Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #353
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Nothing wrong with Aristophanes, nothing at all.

I have a Julia Child cook book and I use it. I even used to watch her show on TV. I am that old. I would like to have the NYTime cook book by her, but I cannot find it anymore. My NY fiancée had it. She was excellent with pots and pans and referred to JC book all the time.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #354
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thats mighty generous of you, Sor. Thank you

Especially given that Platons Symposion is the only thing I know well of the classical literature...
If you have time or inclination for it, do read the rhetoric. You can download it from MR or just buy a pocket book. I kept a cheap copy in my rucksack for years. Actually in French. It is very profound without being religious (which would mix in irrational). It has the purpose of training a lawyer or a politician to convince other people or to win a cause, and myself, I do not care at all for these things. In order to do so, among other things, he examines the emotive motors of our opinions ... There are many other things in the book. But just this part makes it a masterpiece, so actual, even if conceived 2300 years ago. They are the first chapters of the second book.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #355
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
If you have time or inclination for it, do read the rhetoric. You can download it from MR ...
Great suggestion! I just downloaded the edition that Patricia uploaded. My only previous reading of Aristotle's works was his Ethics.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #356
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Great suggestion! I just downloaded the edition that Patricia uploaded. My only previous reading of Aristotle's works was his Ethics.

Did you hyperlink that one as well as the Spinoza one?

Thanks for that btw!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #357
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So how did you get the rhetoric?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #358
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you hyperlink that one as well as the Spinoza one?

Thanks for that btw!
No, nor did I upload it.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #359
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No, nor did I upload it.
Well, you're a very ethical guy in any case.

And I thank you though I've yet to completely read Spinoza's Ethics.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #360
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
So how did you get the rhetoric?
Went to MobileRead > E-Books > Mobi/PRC Books > A > page 7 > Aristotle: Rhetoric, v.1. 27 Jan 2008.

Here's the link for the mobi file, but there are probably several other formats available:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19643