Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There are reports that Apple is having trouble getting enough "Fairy Dust" for its Baby Unicorn breeding program:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-i...pliers-2012-10

I find this curious.
B&N (hardly a tech powerhouse) is pushing out an envelope-pushing 7 incher for $199 and Apple's supply chain (Mr Cook's forte) is having trouble with an 8incher that's going to sell at $250-300?
What, is the thing going to weigh 4 ounces and run 12 hours on a charge? (Roughly what it would take to get me to buy one instead of FireHD9 or Nexus 9)

BTW, there is now a rumor built around a picture of the Mini's headphone jack.
Yup, the headphone jack is newsworthy to Appleinsider:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...appears-online
The "yield" problem may be due to a special screen size for the 7.85 inch iPad mini. It is the same problem that the iPad 3 had, when the iPad 2 was only a rumor one of the features was a high resolution screen but due to "yield" problems Apple couldn't get it done till the iPad 3.

I am guessing the resolution will be the same as the iPhone 5 and iPod touch. Since Apple is pushing developers to create specifically for the iPhone 5 resolution why have a different resolution for the iPad mini?

In terms of price, I think Apple will get rid of the iPad 2 and sell the mini for the same price as the iPad 2.
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
I am guessing the resolution will be the same as the iPhone 5 and iPod touch. Since Apple is pushing developers to create specifically for the iPhone 5 resolution why have a different resolution for the iPad mini?
I doubt it (I think it'll be the same aspect ratio as the ipads), but even then, a 1136x960 on a 7.85" (16:9) would give you a pitiful 166dpi, low by today's standards.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it can't start at higher than $299 and I can't see how it could start lower than that. the pricing strategy just doesnt make sense when considered against the rest of the mobile line.

it's also not 6" or 7" , it's going to be closer to 8" and the last couple of days seems to have pegged it at 7.85"
I could totally seeing it be $299, and $399.
making the Apple line up look like this.

$199 -- iPod touch 4 (16GB)
$299 -- iPod touch 5 (32GB)
$299 -- iPad Mini (16GB)
$399 -- iPad Mini (32GB)
$399 -- iPad 2 WiFi (16GB)
$499 -- iPad 3 WiFi (16GB)

Doing it that way, there is overlap, but it ends up being "do I want more screenspace, or more memory" at each point of overlap.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #34
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I wonder who will buy an iPad mini? Those wanting a 7" screen will buy a Fire or Nexus 7 for $199. iPad owners will probably not be interested as there is not that much difference in screen size (2" ?). iPod touch owners really like the portability of a device with a 4" screen. I just can't figure out the market for this.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-05-2012 at 06:26 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I wonder who will buy an iPad mini? Those wanting a 7" screen will buy a Fire or Nexus 7 for $199. iPad owners will probably not be interested as there is not that much difference in screen size (2" ?). iPod touch owners really like the portability of a device with a 4" screen. I just can't figure out the market for this.
Not neccessarily.
Hardware decisions aren't made in a vacuum solely off a spec sheet.
"Oooh! Quad core CPU! That trumps everything else!"
Familiarity matters, so iPhone users looking for a tablet are going to go for an iPad over Android. So are iPod users looking to move up.
Then there is the matter of portability; the baby unicorn is supposed to be about half the size of the current iPad. That makes it lighter, too. That should make it more suitable for longer reading sessions.

The rationale for the mini is that there is a clear gap in iPxxx form factors between the palm-sized iPod/iPhone and the two handed/lap-level iPad. This gap is the primary reason the bulk of Android tablet success has been with 7in devices. With Apple determined to wipe android off the face of the earth, they need to hit android tablets where they live.

The main question about the iPad mini isn't why are they doing one, but rather why didn't they do it earlier? The answer to that will determine its success; if they're doing it because of Amazon's success the mini will likely be a me-too product solely for the faithful. If they were waiting for a specific technological development, it might be a market shifter. (But I'm skeptical of the latter, myself.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #36
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This gap is the primary reason the bulk of Android tablet success has been with 7in devices. With Apple determined to wipe android off the face of the earth, they need to hit android tablets where they live.
But to accomplish this, doesn't Apple have to price it at $199?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
But to accomplish this, doesn't Apple have to price it at $199?
Goodness! No! They're Apple!
They can charge $400 for a mini with an XGA screen and a single core CPU and the faithful would kill each other to get one of the 5 million to be released in the first month!
Apple products don't need to be price competitive to sell. They have the magic logo on the back!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
JoHunt
I am what I am

Quote:
Apple products don't need to be price competitive to sell. They have the magic logo on the back!

OK so as long as no one tells Apple that many people do not want to spend more than $199 on a tablet, Andrioid is safe.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are tons of non apple-cult types around, more than enough to keep android safe. There is just a lot of people who also love paying (praying to?) their Jobsian diety.

Plus Apple has always neglected the lower end. Thats why their cheapest computer starts at $600, and laptops at $900. Good hardware for the price, just nothing for the rung below.

Last edited by Hellmark; 10-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Apple doesn't believe in "entry level" products.
They believe other companies' products are all the entry level they need.

(IBM did that for years. Sony, too. But since they didn't have a reality distortion zone...)

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-05-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Hellmark
Wizard

They did for a while. Original iMac wasn't badly priced at the time, and the G4 mini was a great bang for the buck. After the iPhone took off, they raised the price of the mini and watered down the hardware (used to be on par with their laptops, now nowhere close).
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I could totally seeing it be $299, and $399.
making the Apple line up look like this.

$199 -- iPod touch 4 (16GB)
$299 -- iPod touch 5 (32GB)
$299 -- iPad Mini (16GB)
$399 -- iPad Mini (32GB)
$399 -- iPad 2 WiFi (16GB)
$499 -- iPad 3 WiFi (16GB)

Doing it that way, there is overlap, but it ends up being "do I want more screenspace, or more memory" at each point of overlap.
I agree, it'll probably be $299 for the 16Gb one and $399 for the 32. That's 50% more than 7" offerings (FireHD, NookHD - 8GB but SD slot and superb screen, Nexus7 - 8GB but USB OTG and everything but the kitchen sink built in).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Sad thing is... Even though this is more a jab at their fanbase, it's mostly true.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #44
JoHunt
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Sad thing is... Even though this is more a jab at their fanbase, it's mostly true.
Agreed, but I think that Apple will have to work hard to convince even its fanbase to buy these things.

I'm a gadget freak and am always looking for "excuses" to get a new one, but this just escapes me. I've been using my iPad for the past few hours and cannot find a single reason to get another one that's 2" smaller
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
And Steve saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote