Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
5 seasons in the new series and a steal at $95 per season

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/
Um, ah riiiiiight!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Um, ah riiiiiight!
Order a set for me too, and consider it a late Christmas gift. I don't mind late gifts.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll get right on that.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll get right on that.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #50
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
NO, I think it starts in March or April.

BOb
BOB!!!!

You are around!!! Someone told me you fled the country. It is nice seeing you again.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #51
kennyc

Just ran across this overview/summary article on CNN/Fortune:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/...ng-on-with-tv/
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

Thanks. Interesting read. There's one part in there about how to watch the web on your TV and the best way to do that is to NOT watch it on your TV. Instead, watch it on your computer.

Set top boxes and built-ins are crippled from the start. They only allow limited web services and you may find yourself getting several devices just to get the services you want.

Not so with a computer. There are no restrictions. You have complete access to the entire net. No cobbling devices together just to get Hulu from one and Netflix from another.

I'm about to become a "cord cutter" as the article put it and ditch TV altogether. I've already done that in my living room (with the bedroom soon to follow). My living room setup consists of:
  • netbook w/ wi-fi
  • wireless mouse
  • 23" WS monitor
  • external DVD
  • 5.1 speakers
No need for a remote, since I keep the netbook next to my recliner. I mostly stream, so I rarely use DVDs. For my needs, a 23" monitor is large enough. Also, my netbook is capable of 720 HDTV output, so I'm satisfied there.

All-in-all, this setup meets my needs and the beauty is, I didn't have to spend extra to get any of it. I already had all of the components.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-04-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #53
kennyc

But the thing missing is the over-the-air dvr capability. At least that's what I found. I like to record the local news and watch it without the commercials. To do that required a digital tuner and antenna(I already had the antenna).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks. Interesting read. There's one part in there about how to watch the web on your TV and the best way to do that is to NOT watch it on your TV. Instead, watch it on your computer.

Set top boxes and built-ins are crippled from the start. They only allow limited web services and you may find yourself getting several devices just to get the services you want.

Not so with a computer. There are no restrictions. You have complete access to the entire net. No cobbling devices together just to get Hulu from one and Netflix from another.

I'm about to become a "cord cutter" as the article put it and ditch TV altogether. I've already done that in my living room (with the bedroom soon to follow). My living room setup consists of:
  • netbook w/ wi-fi
  • wireless mouse
  • 23" WS monitor
  • external DVD
  • 5.1 speakers
No need for a remote, since I keep the netbook next to my recliner. I mostly stream, so I rarely use DVDs. For my needs, a 23" monitor is large enough. Also, my netbook is capable of 720 HDTV output, so I'm satisfied there.

All-in-all, this setup meets my needs and the beauty is, I didn't have to spend extra to get any of it. I already had all of the components.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
But the thing missing is the over-the-air dvr capability. At least that's what I found. I like to record the local news and watch it without the commercials. To do that required a digital tuner and antenna(I already had the antenna).
That's not for me, because I don't watch local TV and haven't done so in well over two decades. Local TV sucks and so do ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. There literally aren't any shows on any of those networks that I watch. Not a one, so over-the-air is irrelevant for me.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #55
kennyc

To be clear, I agree. The only local shows I watch (and thus the need to selective record) are the local news, and various PBS (we have 2 over the air PBS stations) shows - Nature, Nova, etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
To be clear, I agree. The only local shows I watch (and thus the need to selective record) are the local news, and various PBS (we have 2 over the air PBS stations) shows - Nature, Nova, etc.
I get local news off the net. I rarely watch PBS (2 stations), so I won't miss it.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #57
bullwing
bullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it is

Device: pandigital white 7in
Ever since Direct tv loaded their bloatware app store onto my dvr things are running very slow. I am looking to cancel when my contract is up and go with an online solution. I can build a cheap pc to stream all that I need, and with a 40mb pipe to my house.. "gotta love Utopia fiber" I don't really see then need for the dish. Most studio networks run shows with a 8 day delay, for saving $150 a month... I think it's worth it.
bullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Thank you very much for this link. For the past few days, I've been think about returning both the Boxee Box and the Roku (before Amazon's Jan. 31st holiday return deadline).

Right now the boxes compliment each other. Features missing on one are available on the other. If I send them both back and buy a Dell Zino HD, I could have everything I want for the same price as the two set-top boxes.

My concern is that I didn't want to have a big old OS to deal with though it would play really nice with all the computers at home.

I'll make a decision by Friday.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Thank you very much for this link....
I'll make a decision by Friday.
You're welcome. Keep us posted.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm returning both the Boxee Box and the Roku. I like them both but in order to get one box to rule them all, I need a computer. I just ordered the Dell Zino. By using my union benefits, I got one with more bang for my buck than I could from the normal Dell site. It still costs a pretty penny but should last for many years because of the flexibility to upgrade software.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote