Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Possibly a New Format for Kindle 2?

So something strange happened to me today. And it may be nothing, but I'll leave it for you all to decide.

I was downloading copies of some recent Kindle purchases to my computer. I've preordered a Kindle 2 and so even for downloading I had to pick "which Kindle" I was downloading it for.

This in itself is a bit weird.

Well, I accidentally forgot to select my original Kindle (before it gets sold, ha!) and got an error message telling me the file isn't available.

Now, of course... there are a number of other things this could be. But it seems strange they'd set it up so that downloading would need any sort of decision regarding for which one. So, I dunno...
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would this not simply be for the purpose of DRM encoding? Amazon's DRM server needing to know which Kindle's ID it should encode the DRM for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Yeah, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that (but it's like 6 am and I've been up all night) That's what I thought first, too.

So let's hope so. Last thing we need is another format to deal with!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
It could also mean some difference in the screen configuration.

For instance, the librie and the prs500 are pretty technically identical. Case in point, you can read files for either one on either one if you don't mind about slight glitches in the formatting: because of the permanent status bar that's part of the prs500 display at the bottom, its screen's real estate is diminished as compared to that of the librie.
That means that a lrf file meant for the prs500 will leave a blank at the bottom of each pages on the librie, and on the prs500 a file meant for the librie will actually display each pages (as they'd be originally) over two.

I tend to be very cynical about such things, but it could be something as simple as that.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
It could also mean some difference in the screen configuration.

For instance, the librie and the prs500 are pretty technically identical. Case in point, you can read files for either one on either one if you don't mind about slight glitches in the formatting: because of the permanent status bar that's part of the prs500 display at the bottom, its screen's real estate is diminished as compared to that of the librie.
That means that a lrf file meant for the prs500 will leave a blank at the bottom of each pages on the librie, and on the prs500 a file meant for the librie will actually display each pages (as they'd be originally) over two.
All that is true, but the Kindle uses MobiPocket format (except for the few "Topaz" format books) and Mobi doesn't work like that - it's not "paginated" like an LRF file is.
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
So let's hope so. Last thing we need is another format to deal with!
Has nothing to do with Kindle2 or formats or screen differences. You get the same option if you have 2 Kindle1 devices. It just has to do with which Kindle you want to use it on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Has nothing to do with Kindle2 or formats or screen differences. You get the same option if you have 2 Kindle1 devices. It just has to do with which Kindle you want to use it on.

BOb
... and that would suggest that it's asking for the purposes of DRM encoding.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and that would suggest that it's asking for the purposes of DRM encoding.
That is exactly the reason. I think Ricky verified this on a previous thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
No, it actually just wants to know which kindle to send the file to over whisper-net. I have 2 Kindle 1's on my account as well as the kindle 2 that is on pre-order, and I have always had to choose which kindle I want the book sent to. They do it so you don't have to send all of your books to all devices on the account.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
No, it actually just wants to know which kindle to send the file to over whisper-net. I have 2 Kindle 1's on my account as well as the kindle 2 that is on pre-order, and I have always had to choose which kindle I want the book sent to. They do it so you don't have to send all of your books to all devices on the account.
That's interesting, can you send the same book to more than one Kindle if they are all on the same account? I'm asking cause my sister would be interested in a Kindle if my experience is good with the one I have on order and an ability to only make one book purchase for both of us would be a huge plus.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
That's interesting, can you send the same book to more than one Kindle if they are all on the same account? I'm asking cause my sister would be interested in a Kindle if my experience is good with the one I have on order and an ability to only make one book purchase for both of us would be a huge plus.

If both Kindles are on the same account, you can 'share' with up to 6 devices.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

In this case it wasn't about the whispernet (though it asks for that, too) but rather when you are downloading the file to the computer.

But, glad it's resolved. Sorry I even posted this... lol.. but, again, up all night! That's when the stupid comes out!

Tags
drm, file formats, kindle