Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Smartphone and eInk

The last year or so, a few products integrating a Smartphone with eInk screens has been announced. Few have come to market and none are successful yet. Personally, I'm very interested in the idea, one less device to keep track of (not that I would dispose of my eReaders). The latest is Alcatel One Hero, that has some magnetic connector which allows an eInk screen cover to be attached.

If we try to look at this strictly from an eBook reader's perspective, why hasn't this taken off? What is lacking? Does it need to be built in to the phone? Lack of OS support in Android/iOS (not driving two screens at the same time)?

If you were to buy a phone with eInk support, what would you require from the phone? Size? CPU? Memory? Separate eReaders can now be obtained for around $50, if an add on eInk screen to a phone costs $100 would that be a dealbraker, or would convenience carry the day?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'd buy one. I use my phone to make calls, send text, read and sometimes send mail, get directions, and information on public transport. That can all be done with e-ink. The only games I play are chess and go, so e-ink is fine there too.

It would solve the problem of reading the screen in sunlight; I assume it has a front-light for usage in darkness.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
If we try to look at this strictly from an eBook reader's perspective, why hasn't this taken off? What is lacking?
Owner who likes to read would be my first guess.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Need for it, IMO. I've looked at eInk & have not seen any reason for it except battery life-and I solved that years ago by buying extra batteries for my phone. Ability to read in sunlight apparently depends on your eyes. I've had no problem that way but others have so maybe they want eInk screens-I don't.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Isn't it time for an eink smartphone?

I am convinced that there is a substantial market for an eink smartphone. Many people do not use video and games on their smartphone, but would appreciate lower battery consumption, better visibility outdoors and a lower price (since video and games require high performance, which makes a smartphone expensive).

Unfortunately, E43 from ONYX turned out to be a disaster. Due to IMEI issues, the phone function of this gadget is believed to malfunction - at least in some countries.

Are there other manufacturers who are presently working on an eink phone? Any response is highly appreciated.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
If you were to buy a phone with eInk support, what would you require from the phone? Size? CPU? Memory? Separate eReaders can now be obtained for around $50, if an add on eInk screen to a phone costs $100 would that be a dealbraker, or would convenience carry the day?
  • CPU -- quad-core 1.5GHz
  • RAM -- 2GB
  • Display -- 4.7" eink only
  • Android -- 4.4.4
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
I am convinced that there is a substantial market for an eink smartphone. Many people do not use video and games on their smartphone, but would appreciate lower battery consumption, better visibility outdoors and a lower price (since video and games require high performance, which makes a smartphone expensive).

Unfortunately, E43 from ONYX turned out to be a disaster. Due to IMEI issues, the phone function of this gadget is believed to malfunction - at least in some countries.

Are there other manufacturers who are presently working on an eink phone? Any response is highly appreciated.

YotaPhone - Dual Screen Smart Phone

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, 1.7GHz dual core

E-Ink Display
Size: 4.3", Resolution: 640 x 360, Colors: 16-grayscale, Aspect ratio: 16:9, Pixel density: 170 ppi, Input: Touch

Color display
Technology: IPS LCD, Size: 4.3", Resolution: HD 1280 x 720, Colors: 16M, Aspect ratio: 16:9, Pixel density: 342 ppi, Input: Full touch

Dimensions
Height: 133.6 mm, Width: 67 mm, Depth: 9.99 mm

Networks
2G: GSM 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
3G: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 900, 1800, 2100 MHz
4G: LTE CAT3 B3, B7, B20 MIMO

Memory: 2GB RAM, 32GB mass memory

Connectivity:
Micro-SIM reader, 3.5 mm audio connector, Micro-B USB connector, USB 2.0, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, BT 4.0 LE

Camera
Main: 13 megapixels, Autofocus, LED flash
Front: 1 megapixels

Video
Resolution: Full HD 1080p, Frame rate: 30fps, Video playback codecs: H.263, H.264 AVC, MPEG-4, WebM

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gob49C-BK1I
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote