Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
This night, I plugged my 0.5 mah phone charger into the Vox and turned it off. It was at 10% battery. I unplugged it 7h ago and have been using it sporadically. It still says 10%, it's still on. Any charger will charge - even a USB port at work.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
As compared to what?

iPad 1, iPhone 4, and the BB PlayBooks I've played with in and out of store... Id easily put it up against any other IPS display out there.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post

With a Kindle, you're stuck with Amazon, but with the Vox, I can buy books from Kobo, Kindle, or even Aldiko. Or Sony. Or even Nook,..)
Not accurate. You can sideload apps on the Kindle Fire without rooting. Same setup as the Vox. Simply enable it within Settings. I have the NOOK app and other eReader apps on mine. Perhaps I'll load the Kobo app when they put a tablet version in the Android Market.

Last edited by SCION; 11-25-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammar
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
An iPad for example. My husband has an iPad and we can be sitting on the same ferry (how we commute to work) with the sun hitting us in the same way, and my screen is completed readable whereas his is not. (I love having this to hold over my iPad-user husband's head.)
I noticed the EXACT same thing with my hubby's iPad! But, the average tablet user just doesn't think (or care) about that! All they seem to care about is: Can I play Angry Birds???
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I noticed the EXACT same thing with my hubby's iPad! But, the average tablet user just doesn't think (or care) about that! All they seem to care about is: Can I play Angry Birds???
Whenever my husband does something awesome with his iPad, I always say "how's that crappy-screened machine of yours working out for you?". It makes me feel good about my $500 cheaper product!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
I've never browsed for four straight hours. But I am very impressed with the battery life of the Vox. Here is how I use it primarily:

Weekdays: Browsing in the morning before work. On my commute to work I throw it into airplane mode and pop the brightness on the display up (my commute is usually sunny). I read on my commute to and from work and for an hour at lunch. In the evening, airplane mode gets turned off with some sporadic browsing here and there. Then I read for an hour before bed (night more, brightness turned way down). By the time I finish reading, turn it off and plug it in for the night, my battery is still at 75% or better.

Weekends: Airplane mode is NEVER on. Browse the internet throughout the day. Usually take it in and out of sleep mode as I also have a toddler who also requires my attention! Usually import books from Dropbox. Read during nap time and before bed. Battery lasts from the time I wake up to when I go to sleep, though it is usually pretty low at the end of the day (total time, usually around 13 hours battery life).

The only time I have really noticed the battery be quickly drained is when I try to stream video from the internet.
Your week sounds very similar to mine!

My battery usage is quite good with WiFi off and with my screen brightness turned down. I can easily get a 10-15 hour day out of it, depending on if I watch a video or if I do a lot of internet browsing.

I guess it all depends on what you do. My hubby's iPad always seems to need re-charging - but that gets more 'game' play on it, so that could be a factor.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
OUCH is right!

Some comments are saying it's the LOWEST SCORE EVER - for ANY device. Double OUCH!

And this doesn't even factor in Kobo's lack of responsive and knowlegable customer / tech phone support. Triple OUCH!

I sure love my Vox, but when I read stuff like this, I kind of take it personally and feel all defensive, because it makes me feel like I am being called an idiot for buying it...when in fact, I think it's one of my smartest purchases since my Kobo WiFi...
Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Awful reviewer...

Love the screen, bright enough for outdoors at full brightness and dim in night mode for dark places.

Love the reader, life and pulse apps.

Only 512 MB main memory? Have not run out once!

Love the microsd, have 32 GB installed for my media and stuff.

Only 800 MHz? Seems fast enough for all that I do which is mostly e-books, music, facebook, twitter, youtube which works great with Flash 11 installed, PDF with Acrobat, Angry Birds, etc.

Battery is great with wifi off. Hopefully they can improve the wifi efficiency.

Last edited by hpulley; 11-25-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: youube
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #24
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
Thanks for answering my question. I just bought it today for $180 hopefully i have the same experience as you guys!
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #25
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Not accurate. You can sideload apps on the Kindle Fire without rooting. Same setup as the Vox. Simply enable it within Settings. I have the NOOK app and other eReader apps on mine. Perhaps I'll load the Kobo app when they put a tablet version in the Android Market.
OK, thanks for clarifying that.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can't remember if the Nook app supports ADE or not. My main concern there is the non-existent international support. No cloud storage, no Amazon App Store, etc.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #27
jubi
jubi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
This night, I plugged my 0.5 mah phone charger into the Vox and turned it off. It was at 10% battery. I unplugged it 7h ago and have been using it sporadically. It still says 10%, it's still on. Any charger will charge - even a USB port at work.
I second that. As long as Airplane Mode is turned ON, the voltage coming IN will surpass the voltage being burned. My Vox is rooted and I have removed all the INQ and Globe2Go etc. crap. Always on Airplane Mode when reading. I have never had the "wake while sleeping" issue, unless it refers to the screen occasionally waking, and going right back to sleep. Who cares? I do that myself every night a couple times.

I've used Linux for many years and played with many minimal systems which made very good use of low-spec hardware, so I've no problem with this Vox. Uninstall what you will never use, don't run what doesn't need to, and your battery life will be very good.
jubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
mihu
mihu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
iPad 1, iPhone 4, and the BB PlayBooks I've played with in and out of store... Id easily put it up against any other IPS display out there.
Any comparison to the Nook Color or Tablet? I am looking for a (color) tablet that gives me the best outdoor readability, everything else I am ready to compromise.

Michael
mihu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Haesslich
Fanatic

They don't have those in Canada, but from what I've read it beats the NC screen. Might beat the Nook Tablet too, but I can't say for sure. May beat the Kindle Fire judging by the complaints about viewing angles on the KF's screen. I've never had issues with those, and I've tested with video too (via the actual YouTube app).
Old 11-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
An iPad for example. My husband has an iPad and we can be sitting on the same ferry (how we commute to work) with the sun hitting us in the same way, and my screen is completed readable whereas his is not. (I love having this to hold over my iPad-user husband's head.)
That's good to hear. There's been precious few reports with outdoor / sunlight comparisons. I do agree the iPad is awful in sunlight.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, review, vox