Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tab M10
Thanks, and a few questions

I finally figured out how to root my Kit Kat and have deleted all the malware I got (first time ever in over 15 years). I have CC set up almost exactly the way I like (it's never going to be 'exactly').

I have a few questions about Android stuff and I don't know where to go to find answers. I'm not a programmer. I can follow directions if they are clear and don't use acronyms without explaining (especially with lots of pictures). Specifically my tablet seems to have unrooted itself (I suspect a Google driver issue). I want to know if I 'need' to root it again. (CC is working fine, the ability to use the external SD card is still there.) I also would like to know how to find out if and how to move some other bulky data to the SD card (my two dictionaries).

Thanks for the help and pointers on where to look! I might put together a 'how to root' document, if I can figure out the unroot question.

Lori
Lori Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, but I can't help you with the dictionaries. We don't root our devices as a matter of policy so that we don't accidentally test something that the majority of our users don't have, and I don't have any dictionaries installed. You might get some ideas if you search on fora for the reader app you are using.

CC should not require root access as long as you are willing to play by the rules that the Android version requires. It seems from your post that you are. If I am wrong I would like to hear about it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CC should not require root access as long as you are willing to play by the rules that the Android version requires. It seems from your post that you are. If I am wrong I would like to hear about it.
I'm not willing to follow the Kit Kat rules, I wanted to put all my books on an external SD card. I thought that I needed to root the device in order to allow this. If I'm wrong, it's ok. Also, now that Android 5 is out this issue will be less and less important.

(One of the things I learned is that an Android is not just an Android, it's very device specific. So the Kocaso I bought is a little harder to work with, it needed special instructions for drivers, and they (Kocaso) do not support upgrading to later versions of Android. I'm happy with that, this is essentially an ereader for me, with a few games added in.)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A google tablet unroots itself whenever an android update runs. so you either block updates or accept the need to re-root when that happens. That was my experience with a Kobo Arc anyway.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

Thanks. My device isn't supposed to update but it clearly did something.
Lori