Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
asdx
Enthusiast
asdx began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
scaner to make epdf

i want to buy a scanner (only scanner "standalone") to scan magazines , books to read on my astak ezreader
please tell me relevant technical specifications (minimum) for the ideal scanner so that
1. pdf or epubs out of scanned images could be made ( any softwares)
2. those pdf or epubs be of such quality so can be REFLOWED on my reader ASTAK EZREADER
asdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a good discussion on this topic in the workshop forum. But to get started check the wiki article https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digi...ooks_to_Ebooks on digitizing paper books to eBooks.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you want reflowable e-books, you would be better off making e-pubs instead of PDFs. Still, either would require running your scans through OCR, then tediously editing them for OCR and other scanning errors. The process will take longer than reading the original book or magazsine unless you adopt a high tolerance for errors.

Magazines are the most problematic since they are usually heavily illustrated and the illustrations will cause re-flow problems.

As already recommended, the Workshop forum is a good place to go for information on how to proceed.

I was faced with a choice of giving up my book collection (unacceptable) or scanning them. I don't have time to deal with OCR and the resulting editing so I settling for just scanning them to OCR and reading them as is. I don't know how well the EZReader will read image type PDFs (the Mentor did a poor job) but I have had good luck with my JetBook Lite.

Magazines are another story. I scan them with the intent to read them only on my computer because they are too large to read as is on a smaller e-book reader. I do scan them as searchable PDFs but that is as far as I go.

This is not to say you can't do what you want. I just wanted to warn you how much work you are getting yourself into and the limitations you may run into. Again, if you still want to go through with this, the Workshop would be a good place to start. You will find threads on scanners, software, etc. there.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
lahonda_99
lahonda_99 began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro 5"
The CanoScan 8800F is the most recommended scanner for book scanners. The sides of the scanner are the lowest so that you won't have to bend the spine.

[Slapped by Lady] Doesn't OP mean an user with administrator privileges? asdx isn't an OP, is he/she?

Last edited by lahonda_99; 10-23-2010 at 01:08 AM.
lahonda_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahonda_99 View Post
...And... when you make a new topic make sure that your subject sentence has good spelling and grammar. Reading a subject line written so unprofessionaly turns off the group of users you wanted to ask the advice of: the intelligent (Yes, I am aware that I clicked on this topic).
Did you bother to see where the OP was from? Most likely, English is not the OP's first language. Methinks you owe the OP an apology.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
I was faced with a choice of giving up my book collection (unacceptable) or scanning them. I don't have time to deal with OCR and the resulting editing so I settling for just scanning them to OCR and reading them as is. I don't know how well the EZReader will read image type PDFs (the Mentor did a poor job) but I have had good luck with my JetBook Lite.

This is not to say you can't do what you want. I just wanted to warn you how much work you are getting yourself into and the limitations you may run into. Again, if you still want to go through with this, the Workshop would be a good place to start. You will find threads on scanners, software, etc. there.[/QUOTE]

It is actually much easier than your description: Scan to searchable PDF.
That is quite fast and depending on the quality of the scan pretty accurate.
Then use a 9'7 ebook-reader and you are fine.
That is at least the procedure that works for me.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
[QUOTE=lahonda_99;1176612]The CanoScan 8800F is the most recommended scanner for book scanners. The sides of the scanner are the lowest so that you won't have to bend the spine.

As far as I know there is only one non-professional bookscanner on the market.
Plustek OpticBook 3600 ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote