Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
marinasimoes
marinasimoes began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink 7"or larger simple e-reader?

Good evening.
I started searching for a simple e-reader, with e-ink and at least 7" (the ideal would be the size of a book page).
Dont need to listen to music, web or anything. Just read books.

Which one would you recommend?
Anyone sold in Brazil?

Thankss
marinasimoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I'm not sure about availability in Brazil, but the Sony PRS-950 is the only eReader I, personally, am aware of that has a 7" screen. The link below is to a review of the device, so you can look for yourself to see if it's what you're looking for.

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-34167294.html
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
marinasimoes

The Sony site states that this one is no longer avaiable...
Too bad, I really liked the review you sent me.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Welcome to the forum.

The only 7" eInk readers ever made were the Sony PRS-900 and PRS-950 and both are older discontinued models. I suppose you could check places like eBay for a used one (I'd stay away from the 900 and go for the 950 if you do this).

Your only real choices for screen size are 5", 6" or 9.7" (there's also a 4.3" eInk knock off).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinasimoes View Post
The Sony site states that this one is no longer avaiable...
Too bad, I really liked the review you sent me.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Like AnemicOak mentioned, I was mainly referring to used models of the device. If you liked the review and don't mind buying used, then I'd definitely check ebay to see if there are any models listed at the moment.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Dutch brand Icarus is releasing an 8 inch e-paper ereader next month. I assume this is one of those e-ink clone screens. They ship internationally, but shipping to Brazil will probably be expensive.
This is the English version of the product page:
http://icarusreader.com/icarus8
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Well, it has been discontinued also, but the Kindle DX has a 9.7" screen...
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Kobo just announce their Aura HD model with a 6.8" screen. Almost 7" if that will work for you.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
Kobo just announce their Aura HD model with a 6.8" screen. Almost 7" if that will work for you.
I second this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Dutch brand Icarus is releasing an 8 inch e-paper ereader next month. I assume this is one of those e-ink clone screens. They ship internationally, but shipping to Brazil will probably be expensive.

I was actually able to put this in my cart (with no intention of buying it), to see if it would take it. It doesn't appear to be discontinued (as indicated by another member's earlier post), but someone else may have more current information.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
They also have a 9.7" eInk reader with a wacom stylus interface.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was actually able to put this in my cart (with no intention of buying it), to see if it would take it. It doesn't appear to be discontinued (as indicated by another member's earlier post), but someone else may have more current information.
Note that although the product page says around 20th May http://icarusreader.com/icarus8, the store page says now delayed 'til end of June http://www.icarusreader.com/store/e-...us8-8-e-reader . Also I don't know if this is solely a problem for New Zealand, but I tried in 2 browsers and when I get to shipping, I can't select anything or see any options or anything. If I click next it tells me to select shipping option.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
I am curious about this icarus 8, but it has the same resolution as the old Iliad. Does anybody know what processor does the icarus 8 have?

The icarus excel is a rebranded m92
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
marinasimoes

Any news about this Icarus8?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinasimoes View Post
Any news about this Icarus8?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213889
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote