Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Very well, then. I do hope Neil Gaiman's Stardust beats out the second place at the present time A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute. A wartime romance sounds a bit heavier reading than I'm presently in the mood for, and Gaiman is always fun to read.

Although my first choice remains Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan.
My first choice is Shards of Honor. But I suppose it if has to lose, Stardust is good choice to lose to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #62
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...GO ALICE GO!!!!
Ditto!

Here's some customer reviews of A Town Like Alice from Amazon:

“I just finished reading it again and it has got to be one of the best written books and most interesting story of all time.”

"My favourite book of all time"..."Jean Paget's story of survival and determination have always been an inspiration to me through my life, and her story and that of Joe's is one of the most uplifting and romantic I have ever read. Plus it is written in such a way that suited the period it represents. Brilliant!"

"The best novel I've read this year - Outstanding!"

"One of my top ten favorites"

"This is one of the few books that I read every couple of years, and it never fails to satisfy"

"Thankfully this book was recommended to me. I didn't want to put the book down, had to know what was on the next page, so I read it straight thru'. That's a GOOD book. A Town Like Alice is terrific!"

"This book has been a favorite of mine for years. I recently re-read the story and was impressed again with Nevil Shute's ability to gracefully tell the story in a way that keeps you turning page after page."

Your mileage may vary, but I didn't do much cherry-picking of the reviews; most all of them are good so I pretty much just went down the first ones and quoted something from each.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #63
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I voted for "Stardust" to try to help it over the line ahead of "A Town Like Alice". It may sound unpatriotic of me (!) but Nevil Shute does absolutely nothing for me as a writer, though I think his stories are good, which is why his books make good films. On the other hand, I love Neil Gaiman.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #64
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I voted for "Stardust" to try to help it over the line ahead of "A Town Like Alice". It may sound unpatriotic of me (!) but Nevil Shute does absolutely nothing for me as a writer, though I think his stories are good, which is why his books make good films. On the other hand, I love Neil Gaiman.

You should be ashamed at yourself!
Never inviting you to a BBQ.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #65
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I only voted for A Town Like Alice, but I'm fine with Stardust as well! I suspect I'll read both either way!
This is what love/hate about the book club: It keeps adding to my TBR that's too long already!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #66
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I voted for both of the front runners and since my first choice isn't going to make it, I'm fine with either of them.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #67
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Neck and neck!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #68
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well it looks like Lolita is not going to win. The only book that I really would have liked to read and discuss here. I've read Stardust, and it was a decent fantasy novel. Still say that I would not call it a romance, but I will defer to and expert [Elfwreck] on that. A Town Like Alice would be worth reading as well.

I'm just glad Love Story, Shards of Honor, and Outlander will not be the selection.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm hoping A Town Like Alice wins. I've never read anything by Neville Shute.

I would have voted for Stardust also, but I've read it within the past couple years.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Well it looks like Lolita is not going to win. The only book that I really would have liked to read and discuss here. I've read Stardust, and it was a decent fantasy novel. Still say that I would not call it a romance, but I will defer to and expert [Elfwreck] on that. A Town Like Alice would be worth reading as well.

I'm just glad Love Story, Shards of Honor, and Outlander will not be the selection.
Love Story is a good story (at least the movie is good). Outland is not good. But, Shards of Honor starts off a very good series. Well worth reading. But as it's not going to win, I'll have to save it for another month.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here are some reviews for Stardust.

Quote:
A beautiful and imaginative romp through a magical world where the improbable can happen and love prevails. Fairies, witches, a lost kingdom, and a fallen star.
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me that Gaiman can take every single sentence in a book, no matter how mundane, and make it absolutely integral to the full completion of the plotline. This was a joy to read, a true contemporary fairytale.
Quote:
I can only do fantasy novels every so often; I much prefer literature. Still, I find it important to read these things on occasion, because they provide such an excellent escape: that leap into worlds that are nothing like ours; the way they enable our going beyond ourselves and render us capable of expanding our consciousness; the way they can temporarily alter us in ways non-fantasy novels are incapable. We could all use that kind of escape once in a while.

And Stardust was great for just that. It was an easy read, never a strain; very imaginative, even at times, captivating. This was my first exposure to Gaiman and I'm left impressed: his writing was acute and flowing, his imagination, vivid; most of all, the man can tell a story with the best of them. Or, at least, that's what I take from Stardust: A love story in the fantasy realm, done so well it could only have been written by a master of the craft, which is what Neil Gaiman seems to be.
Quote:
Neil Gaiman, one of the finest fantasy storytellers of modern times, wrote Stardust to honor the simpler fairy tales and fantasies of times past, where a town was akin to a place magical and a person could wonder without restraint if he or she so choosed. What Gaiman accomplishes with this storytelling endeavor is as imaginative as Tinkerbell’s pixie dust in transporting the reader through a tale of love, danger and adventure.
Quote:
The beautiful adult fairy-tale Stardust is an entrancing read, wonderfully written and full of intriguing characters. An outstanding, timeless story, and sure to enchant readers. (Yes, even the ones who don't like unicorns)
Quote:
Stardust won the Mythpoeic Award for best adult fairy tale.
Quote:
If ever there was a book that could be labeled, 'Drink me!', Stardust is that book.
Quote:
This is a gentle fairy tale for adults by an excellent storyteller.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #72
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post

You should be ashamed at yourself!
Never inviting you to a BBQ.
One year I want to go to Australia for the holidays for a Christmas barbie.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
One year I want to go to Australia for the holidays for a Christmas barbie.
I didn't know that Matel made a Christmas Barbie.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #74
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Romance?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So if we Shute Neville, does that mean we don't have to read A Town like Alice if it wins and can instead officially read Stardust?