Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
nkormanik
Connoisseur
nkormanik began at the beginning.

Device: DavidAcisAAJ
Question: Deleting html links to sites in document

I'm constructing a personal e-book containing a collection of html pages I gathered from the Internet.

I merged these pages into one large html document. Within the merged document are many links to outside sites. When I bring the html document into my web browser, I can see at the bottom of the screen lots of downloading from those various links/sites.

My question is: What's the easiest way of removing or eliminating all of those links to the outside?

One way I found was to use an editor and to simply remove "http://" wherever it occurs in the html document.

Is that the best way?

Thanks,
Nicholas Kormanik
nkormanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
nkormanik
Connoisseur

I was hoping that Calibre would have some auto-stripping function for html importing, that would automatically eliminate such links.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you want to remove whatever from your document, you can always use the header/footer removal regexes in structure detection.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just convert your html file, links pointing to non local resources are not followed by calibre's conversion engine anyway
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Glad to hear Calibre strips the links.

The problem is, however, if there are lots of links, it takes a long time for Calibre to convert the file. Seems better to delete them upfront, from the HTML document, before bringing it into Calibre.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Things are rough enough for Calibre to handle. Cut the junk first.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Converting to txt is not the answer, though, as too much formatting is given up.

Tags
eliminate links