Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #136
FranciscoB
FranciscoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you want WiFi in a bookreader?
If the Kindle had wifi, Amazon *could* have a setting where they would only transfer converted documents (sent by email) if the device is on wifi. That would allow users with wifi to skip the fees associated with the conversion.
FranciscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #137
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
still no wifi, a real bummer !
I've seen some speculation that it does have wifi capability, but it won't be turned on until the 6" version is released.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #138
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I wish K3 will have an 8" display.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #139
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliburd View Post
I wish K3 will have an 8" display.
I doubt they'd do that. There would be too little difference between the K3 and the DX.

I think 6" is a little too small, especially when you can't adjust the margins. I really like the size and weight of the K2i, but I think they could cram an extra inch of screen in there without changing too much.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #140
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoB View Post
If the Kindle had wifi, Amazon *could* have a setting where they would only transfer converted documents (sent by email) if the device is on wifi. That would allow users with wifi to skip the fees associated with the conversion.
How much does a WiFi radio cost Amazon? Given that Amazon has dropped prices on their Kindles quite severely I don't think adding extra hardware is part of that equation.

I think that WiFi is useless for most users - or do a lot of users send documents to their Kindle over 3G regularly? How many users don't get any 3G coverage?
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #141
FredBE
FredBE began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One, Kindle DXG
Side by side as posted by an Amazon customer: very nice !
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...pdp_images_all
FredBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #142
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBE View Post
Side by side as posted by an Amazon customer: very nice !
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...pdp_images_all
Thanks.
Same photo from Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrmints...90095/sizes/l/

Last edited by olis; 07-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #143
rockjian
rockjian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Thanks for the photo. Can you tell the difference between the screens? Is it really 50% better?
rockjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #144
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
People on the Amazon forums are saying that the picture doesn't do it justice.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #145
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjian View Post
Thanks for the photo. Can you tell the difference between the screens? Is it really 50% better?
That photo isn't mine, but the guy who took it is reporting this:

"The buttons on the side also seem to feel more secure (the side buttons rattled if I shook the old Kindle DX). The screen itself is a few shades whiter (bright gray - like light newsprint) and the test looks bold and much clearer. The images (so far just the screen savers) are quite clear and much brighter. There seems to be less wash out in the sunlight. "
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #146
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Kindle DXG Video

http://ireaderreview.com/

This does a good job showing the improvement in contrast.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #147
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
i want wifi because whispernet is not supported in many countries. ability to surf via wifi is a plus. why browsing with e-ink one may ask? well, exactly, it is E-INK! Great for my mom too. She would love reading wikipedia and bbcnews on an e-ink display.

But comes to think of it, you're right. why would i need wifi on ereader? I could just transfer the PDF to the kindle via USB connection right ? web browsing is secondary i guess
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #148
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
I hope loading PDFs is faster on the Graphite.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
i want wifi because whispernet is not supported in many countries. ability to surf via wifi is a plus. why browsing with e-ink one may ask? well, exactly, it is E-INK! Great for my mom too. She would love reading wikipedia and bbcnews on an e-ink display.
Unfortunately web browsing is pretty horrible on an eInk screen. Wiki is OK. BBC News (on the Kindle, at least) is totally unusable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #150
dasym
Connoisseur
dasym began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle. iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately web browsing is pretty horrible on an eInk screen. Wiki is OK. BBC News (on the Kindle, at least) is totally unusable.
I'm between Kindles at the moment so I can't check, but I think the BBC news mobile site comes out quite well on the Kindle.
dasym is offline   Reply With Quote