Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Tricorp
Enthusiast
Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Do I need a new cover?

After reading all the cover threads I looked at my wonderful cover and realized that some people may not like it. So I did a few mock ups of other cover ideas.
The book is a science fiction murder mystery where the main character has to solve the murder of his copilot.

The first one is the cover I already have.

The next two are variations from the same nasa image

This one is with a cool ship, but I would have to buy the image.

Last edited by Tricorp; 05-04-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Tricorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
We need to see them at eBook size - 100x150 or 200x300 at most - and I'm too lazy to download these pics and resize them for a gander.

My instinct is that I like your original just fine. It's not a cliche, but still clearly fits the genre. The others... well I don't read sf that much, but the first two look like decent generic covers - and that may be a good thing - but the spaceship one looks somehow amateurish. I can't put my finger on it just now. I think it's the design more than the concept.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The cover means nothing to me, if I don't like the content... If you're browsing books in a bookstore, the cover might get you to look at the book, but when buying ebooks, you mostly search for contents/genre.. Maybe if you find two books you really like, and one has a brilliant cover, you might just chose that one...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, now that I am looking at them on a bigger monitor and can really see the design....

The problem with the original is that it is too wide, and I don't like the typography. The red drop shadow really doesn't do anything for it at all. I can't put my finger on what I don't like about the font, but it's not as neutral a font as it looks.

I love the Cooperplate font in the second, and the image is dynamic. Sure, it's generic, but it has a sophisticated look. The problem is that it, also, is the wrong dimensions. (600x900 is a good rule of thumb for the large size.)

In the third the font work doesn't bother me, but I hate the flare in the O, and the image elements seem unbalanced and don't look as good. (Less planet, more stardust might fix that, but I'm not sure.) The canyon effect of the angle of the planet and the angle of the stardust could work for you if the story has a claustrophobic feel, or tight chases or something. It doesn't work for me for that reason though.

The last one. Still don't like it, but I think it's the layout. If you made it taller, but kept the elements the same size, I might like it okay. There needs to be more space between the words and the image.

We still need to see them small to judge how they would do as an ebook cover, though.

Camille
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Serif font + future or near future setting hardly ever works. I went with a more modern approach utilising three colours and a sans-serif font named 'bin'.

Images © 2010 moejoe studio

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's no wonder you've got so much Karma Dusty Bottoms, those are wicked.

MFS
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFStewart View Post
It's no wonder you've got so much Karma Dusty Bottoms, those are wicked.

MFS
Pssst I'm really Moejoe wearing a different hat
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
DaringNovelist
Addict

Only problem with Dusty's that I see is that the font is VERY hard to read. In particular, the "b" doesn't read well, so you have to look closely to see what it actually says.

As for the rest, I like it, but I don't know how much it fits for sf.

Camille
Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
Pssst I'm really Moejoe wearing a different hat
I was wondering!
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Tricorp
Enthusiast
Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Shrunk the pics because they really do need to be smaller. I realize that whatever design I choose will have to be redone to look good that small.
I love how Dusty Bottoms can do a better job than me and it isn't even his book. (although the font still isn't quite right.)
Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
my twopennorth... the first of your with a different font, or Dusty's with a different font cause I, too, noticed the B thing, OR...

Your second one looks good for sci-fi readers in a kind of arooogah-arooogah this is a sci-fi book kind of way. I like the blood drops on your first one, you could put them together somehow and that might crack it...

Just a thought...

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
Tricorp
Enthusiast

I took the advice from this thread and others and came up with another cover. I like it and I want to know what yall think:
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.