Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
lol
lol began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX Global
CalibrePortable from PortableApps.com

Hi,

I'm really happy to find a portable version of Calibre at portableapps.com (you have to search for Calibre; it is not listed on the main apps page).

The latest portable version at portableapps.com is 06.23. Any idea when an updated version will be available? Is there a way to update the portable version with the newer versions as they become available at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows?

Thanks a lot.
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I generally install Calibre into a virtual machine, then copy the installed version to my real computer.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I generally install Calibre into a virtual machine, then copy the installed version to my real computer.
Thanks for your reply. I feel a little digitally incompetent to think I don't really know what you mean, though.

I'm not sure what a virtual machine is. Would this allow you to run Calibre off a stick? I really like to have the program and my e-book library available wherever I go.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'll have to ask on the portable apps forum, I'm not involved in the creation of the portable version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You'll have to ask on the portable apps forum, I'm not involved in the creation of the portable version.
It would be nice if Calibre kept all config files in the Calibre directory then it would be portable out of the box.

Happy New Year!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre already allows you to specify (via an Environment variable) where its Config information is to be located.

In fact as yoiu can seperately specify the location of:
- The Calibre binaries
- The Calibre eBooks folder
- The Calibre metadata.db file
- The Calibre config folder
I have found it relatively easy to write a batch file that allow Calibre to be run from a USB stick (under Windows).

Last edited by itimpi; 01-03-2010 at 02:39 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre already allows you to specify (via an Environment variable) where its Config information is to be located.

In fact as yoiu can seperately specify the location of:
- The Calibre binaries
- The Calibre eBooks folder
- The Calibre metadata.db file
- The Calibre config folder
I have found it relatively easy to write a batch file that allow Calibre to be run from a USB stick (under Windows).
Excellent, I'll have to do the same. Thanks for the heads up.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I see reference to CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY in other posts, but are all of the Calibre environment variables documented somewhere?

On a related note, I also "failed the IQ test" in trying to determine all of the command line options for CALIBRE.EXE. I tried running with "-h" "--help", etc. and just can't make it work. Are all of these options documented somewhere as well?

Thanks.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I must admit I have no idea where they are documented. I just picked up the information as I saw it in various posts.

I have attached my current batch file - it is liberally commented so should give you the information you need. It should be easy to adapt the syntax to linux or OS/X if you are not running Windows.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (3.2 KB, 313 views)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Much appreciated for the environment variables, itimpi.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
lol

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I must admit I have no idea where they are documented. I just picked up the information as I saw it in various posts.

I have attached my current batch file - it is liberally commented so should give you the information you need. It should be easy to adapt the syntax to linux or OS/X if you are not running Windows.
This is just what I was looking for. I'm not very computer literate, but I managed to tweak the batch code to fit my system/directory structure. I installed Calibre on my PC, copy and pasted the Calibre2 directory to my stick, placed my tweaked version of Itimpi's patch in the Calibre2 directory on my stick, uninstalled Calibre from my PC and presto - portable Calibre.

Thanks for posting the .bat file, Itimpi.
lol is offline   Reply With Quote