Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Upgrade from Cybook..

I have had a Cybook for about 1 1/2 years and I'm beginning the process of deciding on an upgrade. I've really slacked off over the last 6 months and haven't been keeping up with the news and upcoming models. Here are my base criteria, tell me what I should be looking into or waiting for.

8 inch screen
Thin form factor(similar to cybook)
No need for wireless
Decent battery life(I'd like to get at least 1 book out of each charge)
Mobipocket DRM support

I have no specific needs for internal storage, I save most of my books to my pc and just upload my next few at a time. A touch screen wouldn't be bad. One thing I want is a comfortable next page button that is a bit more functional than the Cybook. I read a lot, I'd like this one to hold up better than my Cybook. It's starting to do a lot of creaking and internal part movement. I probably use it at least an hour a day if not two hours.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Here are my base criteria, tell me what I should be looking into or waiting for.

8 inch screen
Thin form factor(similar to cybook)
No need for wireless
Decent battery life(I'd like to get at least 1 book out of each charge)
Mobipocket DRM support
Lots of rumors, but nothing concrete. Keep waiting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There was originally supposed to be an 8" Vizplex screen, but I have seen no significant rumors of devices with this screen size. There are lots of reports of Vizplex 9.7" screens, but no actual products yet.

The original Cybook Gen3 is built by Netronix, and their standard set of device designs has recently been updated, see e-book. Note that we already know of two EB500-like devices to be built by Netronix (one for Bookeen), and both are significantly different to the basic EB500 shown here because Netronix will customize if your volume is high enough. The important point, though, is that there are no 8" designs listed and the 9.7" device is listed as Q1 2010. I expect such devices this summer, but don't forget that the original delivery date was last year.

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-17-2009 at 11:43 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Demented
Connoisseur

Man I don't understand the slow down in the ereader market. Over a 2 year time span and nothing has really improved. Is it a lack of sales volume? Maybe everyone is afraid to really challenge Sony/Amazon?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There was originally supposed to be an 8" Vizplex screen, but I have seen no significant rumors of devices with this screen size. There are lots of reports of Vizplex 9.7" screens, but no actual products yet.
The iLiad uses an 8" Vizplex screen, but it seems to be made specifically for iRex.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The problem is that there's still only one company making eInk screens. Until they introduce something new, or another player enters the market for eInk (or similar) screens, you're not going to see much that's really new.

Bigger screens haven't appeared much because of the difficulty of protecting the larger screen from breaking. When the plastic substrate screens appear, I expect to see a crop of larger machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Man I don't understand the slow down in the ereader market. Over a 2 year time span and nothing has really improved. Is it a lack of sales volume? Maybe everyone is afraid to really challenge Sony/Amazon?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
As long as your Cybook still works, I would try to stretch it until next winter. My guess is that you will see many new announcements over the next nine months or so and the ebook world will look quite different by then. Unfortunately, my Cybook broke and I went for the Kindle2.

Ditto on pdurrant's comments on only one company making eink. There are finally some reasonable alternatives arriving, but who knows how long and whether any of them are vapor ware. I expect the next year to bring bigger form iphone/itouch units and I don't expect them to use e-ink because they'll want more interactive screens for video and applications. Hopefully, we will also see new screens from PixelQi in the next six to nine months. Ejatco is pushing the non-backlit LCD option. Others are talking about OLED and Bridgestone's tech is moving forward (although I forecast they are at least 18 months from consumer products -- more like 2-3 years). Also Fujitsu. Likewise, the dying newspapers are looking at the market, and Barnes and Noble is expected to make a big splash.

I hope that all of these come true because they can lead to feature and price competition. I know all of the advantages of e-ink (I have purchased two of them); however, when you compare the cost of an e-ink device versus the ipod touch the reader price point just does not make sense. Even if you still want an e-ink device, I hope competition will bring the prices down.

As I said, many of these introductions will take several years, but I expect enough change over the next six to nine months to make it worth waiting.

I am a heavy ebook user also (like you are). If someone else read's this who does not have anything today, I would urge them to take the plunge -- there will always be new stuff around the corner. My advice on a delay is only because your Cybook is still creaking along.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Demented
Connoisseur

Literally 'creaking' along. They need to work on build quality. I'd consider the Iliad but there are just so many complaints about it. I don't want to throw another 600 into my reader to get a product that I'm not satisfied with.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The you have to wait. No other 8" or upper offer besides the Iliad today.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote