Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
DaisyMama
DaisyMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question What Do You Like Most/Least About Your Kindle?

I'm very eager to get a Kindle, but I'm struggling with guilt because I've always been a book purist. I love the feel of a new trade paperback, and I love my shelves and shelves of books. I feel a little like I'm cheating on them!

SO, for everyone who has a Kindle (or other e-reader) already, what do you like most about your Kindle? What do you like least about it?

Thanks!
DaisyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I love my Kindle because of the convenience and ease of reading. I had a habit of putting books aside because of the size of the print or weight. No longer an issue. I also like that I can carry a variety of books in a device that fits in my bag. No worries about running out of reading or not having what I'm in the mood for.

My biggest dislike is that I can no longer share books with others...but I solved some of the problem by getting my mother a Kindle.

I don't miss paper but I don't like contributing to the demise of the brick and mortar stores because I still love nothing more than browsing a bookstore at lunch. SoI find myself buying more cookbooks and magazines so I feel better.

Originally I thought it was way overpriced...but since I find myself spending less and reading more, I can easiy justify the cost (as long as I can hold off on upgrading for another year ).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMama View Post
I'm very eager to get a Kindle, but I'm struggling with guilt because I've always been a book purist.
I'm not sure what that even means. You "were" a book purist because you had no choice. No you do.

Do you feel you are cheating on your typewriter when you use your Word Processor? Most people don't write stuff out longhand either.

You feel like you are "cheating" on your books. Please, they are just tools. A tool used to deliver a story from the mind of one person to another. A Kindle is a different kind of tool to do the same thing. The magic isn't in the paper or the glue... it is in the story and your imagination and your enjoyment of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I think people need to remember this is a e-book reader forum. All devices are represented here, not just the Kindle.

This question really should be:

What do you like best about your Ebook reader device?

Now to answer your question.........

I love the knowlege I'm carrrying every book I 've bought/downloaded with me, whereever I am.

I love the built in dictionary.

I love being able to change the size of the words with just a touch of the button.

I love to turn the reader off, then having it open to the same page I left off when I reopen it.

I love being able to read a really heavy book, (ie The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus) with a device the size of a paperback.

I love being able to read in bed, without cramping or trying to get comfortable.

I love being able to read library books, legally, on it, knowing they will simply 'turn off' when the lending period is over.

I love the looks of my reader.......which happens to be a Kindle!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I love the Kindle because my Mrs does so she spends all her free time with it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Where did you get the sherlock homes omnibus? I couldnt find it in the books list here.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here ya go.......I just typed in 'Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" into the search field.......make sure you have the .prc version.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+Holmes&page=3
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I love being able to browse a huge bookstore while I'm sitting in an airport lounge, and then downloading a book in about 1 minute...

I love a built in dictionary so I don't have to interrupt my reading if I encounter a word I'm not familiar with. And then also being able to search further on Wikipedia, without worrying about connectivity charges...

I love being able to carry around literally hundreds, if not thousands of books in a package that weighs 10.3 oz...

I love being able to adjust the size of text so I can read with no eye strain...

I love never having to worry about losing my place...

What do I hate? I hate that it took me this long to discover e-books in general, and Kindle in particular.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think people need to remember this is a e-book reader forum. All devices are represented here, not just the Kindle.

This question really should be:

What do you like best about your Ebook reader device?

Now to answer your question.........

I love the knowlege I'm carrrying every book I 've bought/downloaded with me, whereever I am.

I love the built in dictionary.

I love being able to change the size of the words with just a touch of the button.

I love to turn the reader off, then having it open to the same page I left off when I reopen it.

I love being able to read a really heavy book, (ie The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus) with a device the size of a paperback.

I love being able to read in bed, without cramping or trying to get comfortable.

I love being able to read library books, legally, on it, knowing they will simply 'turn off' when the lending period is over.

I love the looks of my reader.......which happens to be a Kindle!
Yeah. What she said.

I would also add:

I love that it's so easy to have what I want to read right now even if it's 3 A.M., or I'm not at home, or not near a bookstore or library.

I love that when I finish a book, I can start another one without dislodging the cat or putting down my tea.

I love that when I hear about a book that sounds interesting I can send myself the first chapter to read at my leisure before I decide whether to buy it.

I love being able to carry my recipes around with me so when I'm at the store. If I want to know the ingredients for something, they're right there. I also like that if I see that asparagus looks good this week, I can search for "asparagus" and get all my favorite ways of cooking it.

I love not having to cram more books on my already overladen bookshelves.

I love having the extra room in my luggage.

Most of all, I love that I've been able to stop thinking about the book as an object and just enjoy the story. It doesn't feel like reading on a gadget. It feels like reading.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like that people think my Kindle is fugly! Because that's how I roll.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

AND..........

I love being able to eat with one hand, while I read with another......without having to put something down to turn the pages!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I love being able to eat with one hand, while I read with another......without having to put something down to turn the pages!
... but it would be nice if it hovered in front of my face and turned the page when I raised my eyebrow slightly. Because it is pretty bulky of course.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
... but it would be nice if it hovered in front of my face and turned the page when I raised my eyebrow slightly. Because it is pretty bulky of course.

BOb
Now, THAT would be an improvement!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
AND..........

LOL. When I was in university we used to refer to the 5th Food Group: One Handed Food. It was stuff you could eat while studying.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Here ya go.......I just typed in 'Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" into the search field.......make sure you have the .prc version.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+Holmes&page=3

Thank you!!

Hmm ill have to try searches that way. I was going to the book uploads and searching under authors.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote