Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2023, 12:00 PM   #1
jan_axhell
jan_axhell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I broke my Kobo Aura N514 internal battery socket

My Kobo battery started behaving weird, so I thought it was time to replace it. I bought one on Amazon, but the white plug had tiny plastic "wings" on the sides that were large enough not to allow me to easily insert it in the socket on the board, that eventually broke like butter. In the original battery those "wings" are next to invisible and could fit easily.

So now there are 2 tiny plates on the motherboard that someone with microelectronic tools and knowledge would easily weld to the battery cables, but not me. They are in an area less than 1 square millimeter large, as soon as I would melt tin, I would make a short circuit mess. And on Amazon microelectronic tools are more expensive than a Kobo.

I have bought a working used N514, so I'm not in despair, but I'd like to fix mine anyway, if possible. I've tried on ebay, but only found a few non-Aura models and watching tear-down videos on Youtube, it's clear each model has a different battery and socket. It's so frustrating to have a perfectly working device bricked by a tiny plastic piece.

Is there any viable solution to this (I do not consider official Kobo service, this is way out of guarantee and I'm sure they don't repair things)? Like replacement parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo large 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	201318   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo small.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	985.8 KB
ID:	201319  
jan_axhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are in the US, you can find some Kobo Aura available for parts as the screen is broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Someone that can solder, or a real service guy, (getting rare), can fix this easily in minutes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
jan_axhell

@JSWolf I'm not in the US
@Quoth Already checked in my city, nobody does SMD (this is what it's called this kind of electronics) for ereaders, only cellphones, tablets or big industry stuff.

Actually it's just missing a piece of plastic, with a spare one no soldering is needed, just slot it in and replug the battery. But it seems this devices are considered disposable. :-/
Old 04-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This isn't SMD soldering. Just ordinary.

PM me if you are ever travelling in Ireland.
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
jan_axhell

Ha! Thanks, one day I will, but not anytime soon.
Ok, I'm not an expert: how do you tell SMD from non SMD? Aren't those tiny plates "SMD"?
I have soldered many things, like cables and circuits, but my welder is much bigger than those 2 plates. If I melt something over them, I immediately short them, they are so close to each other.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

SMD = Surface Mount Device.
The PCB is identical to solder to for wires or non-SMD devices. Really only BGA parts are tricky. An SMD resistor solders to two pads on the PCB. A regular resistor has wires through holes on the PCB and solders to two pads.
Only ordinary electronics soldering skill needed for simple SMD parts. ICs are harder and BGA needs a special rework station.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_axhell View Post
@JSWolf I'm not in the US
This is why it's a good idea to put in your location so when you ask a question that has a location based answer, you won't get the wrong answer.

Still try looking on eBay US and see if any of these devices ship outside the US. And also try your local eBay and see if any devices are available for parts due to a broken screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is why it's a good idea to put in your location so when you ask a question that has a location based answer, you won't get the wrong answer.

Still try looking on eBay US and see if any of these devices ship outside the US. And also try your local eBay and see if any devices are available for parts due to a broken screen.
Postage rates for outside USA are now atrocious. Also there will be duty.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
jan_axhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I didn't notice the location profile entry, will check now.

Already checked for broken kobos before posting here. US, as already noticed, is not viable for postage and taxes.

Tags
battery, broken, hardware, replacement, socket