Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
citynights
citynights began at the beginning.

Device: Bricked Kindle Paperwhite 2
Exclamation KPW2 - Battery Drained and Stuck on Screensaver

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I didn't charge my Kindle Paperwhite 2 for two months. The screen is stuck on one of the screensaver images, and the paperwhite fails to turn on. Even though the screen isn't on the battery exclaimation mark screen, I know the battery is fully drained. I've tried doing a few freezer charge cycles, and I've also disconnected the battery to make sure there wasn't any residual power but nothing seems to be working. When I hold down the power button for 40 seconds, it just flashes yellow and nothing happens.

Is it worthwhile to try and buy a replacement battery? I've read a few people replacing the battery, but their kindles wouldn't turn back on. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new kindle.

Many Thanks!
citynights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynights View Post
Hi all,

Unfortunately, I didn't charge my Kindle Paperwhite 2 for two months. The screen is stuck on one of the screensaver images, and the paperwhite fails to turn on. Even though the screen isn't on the battery exclaimation mark screen, I know the battery is fully drained. I've tried doing a few freezer charge cycles, and I've also disconnected the battery to make sure there wasn't any residual power but nothing seems to be working. When I hold down the power button for 40 seconds, it just flashes yellow and nothing happens.

Is it worthwhile to try and buy a replacement battery? I've read a few people replacing the battery, but their kindles wouldn't turn back on. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new kindle.

Many Thanks!
You can test whether the battery is dead using a multimeter - if the voltage of the battery is around or under 3.5v and doesn't increase after charging for a day or 2, you should replace it.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
citynights

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
You can test whether the battery is dead using a multimeter - if the voltage of the battery is around or under 3.5v and doesn't increase after charging for a day or 2, you should replace it.
Good idea. I'll check. Much appreciated!
Old 12-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
citynights

Thumbs down

So I ended up buying a new battery and after charging it, the kindle is still stuck on the screensaver. Posting this update so if anyone else has the same issue I would say save your $20 and put it towards a new kindle instead of wasting your money on a new battery.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OTOH I've replaced the battery/cell in three Kindles, two phones, one kobo, a spectrum analyser, notebooks, laptops and some other things. Never had a problem replacing a cell/ battery.

However other faults can occur. I make sure something is functional in some sense before ordering replacement cells / batteries.

A PC or laptop freezing at boot can be a dead coin cell or the clock chip with epoxied internal cell (those can have epoxy chipped and piggy back coin cell), but mostly the PC/Laptop simply loses time and CMOS settings when the internal coin cell or other auxiliary battery fails.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
battery, kindle, kpw2, paperwhite2