Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #16
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Only if the OP is in the US. Kindle support isn't offered by OverDrive in other countries...
*THIS* I didn't realize. Thanks for the info.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I just looked at my library account settings and I don't see an option to select epub as a default, only Kindle - there is a checkbox with the following language:

Kindle preference Only show the Kindle Book option for borrowed eBooks

It seems odd that they have only the one.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 AM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
They may offer multiple formats, but once you download one format in Overdrive, I believe Overdrive doesn't allow you to download another format?
IIRC If you're using the web page, then yes. Once you select a format, you can't use the website to get another one. However, I have worked around this before.

When I borrow an ebook at my library in the USA, I have the choice to "Read now with Kindle", "Read now in browser", or "Download ePub". Without selecting any of those choices, the book is available to read in the Libby app on my iPad and downloads automatically to my KA1. Once I select "Read now with Kindle", the ePub option disappears on the website. However, I can still choose to read the ebook in the browser.

To get the ebook into my Kindle, as you probably know, I have to select "Get library book" from the special Amazon page that opens when you opt to "read now with Kindle". Then it automatically loads onto my Kindle. It also loads onto my Kindle app on my iPad when I open the app (or sync).

Even then, I can still read the eBook with Libby and my KA1 while it's also on my Kindle. I don't know if Overdrive has loosened things, or if my library is generous. How does it work for you?
Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #19
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I just looked at my library account settings and I don't see an option to select epub as a default, only Kindle - there is a checkbox with the following language:

I concur. When I just opted to read a book on my Kindle, a preference pane popped up on the website asking me if I'd like to set Kindle as my default. In Settings on my library's Overdrive page, I only see the same preference option that you do. Overdrive is still Kindle centric considering Rakuten Kobo owns them. I realize that the Kindle is the more popular reader, but I'm surprised that ePub for default isn't an option still.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

Possibly because libraries usually (if not always) have more ePub books than they do Kindle books. So they're giving us the option to filter out books that can't be borrowed for Kindle devices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That is a fairly new feature, at least it only showed up in my libraries about 2 months ago. Easy to change in your preferences at the library too.
Okay, I see it now. It's weird they don't let you select "ePub only."

(Sorry about the redundancy.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread is a perfect example of why we need to have location as a mandatory field when someone registers. There would not be all this you can do this or that but only if you live here or there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #23
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
whats a drop dead code?
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why we need to have location as a mandatory field when someone registers. There would not be all this you can do this or that but only if you live here or there.
Jon, let it go. People are free to list whatever they want or nothing at all as their location.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #25
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
whats a drop dead code?
I think it's a code that keeps the book from opening after the checkout period has expired.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
spindlespine
spindlespine began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An .acsm (Adobe Content Server Manager) file is a file that ADE uses to download the book from the library servers. You will need to install ADE and authorize it with an Adobe ID. After you have downloaded the .acsm file, you can open it with ADE to download the epub which you can copy it into calibre, remove DRM if needed (see Apprentice Alf for advice on removing DRM) and convert to a Kindle friendly format (AZW3 by preference).

Please note that many, myself included, do not consider removing DRM from library books as being a good idea. Unlike other books that you purchase and own, a library book is a loan and removing the DRM also removes the dropdead code.
Thanks so much for your response! I followed your instructions and got everything to work. Unfortunately it is necessary to remove DRM, so it's shady at best and I'm fairly certain illegal. I borrowed a book that I already own to assuage my guilt. I spent so much time setting everything up I had to test it. Pretty slick. I'm not sure I will be using this method in the future. I just wish Amazon would play ball with OverDrive here in Canada. So much easier to read on Kindle than iPhone.
spindlespine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlespine View Post
I just wish Amazon would play ball with OverDrive here in Canada. So much easier to read on Kindle than iPhone.
Given the flak OverDrive got from some publishers after Kindle borrowing came out in the US, including some publishers temporarily stopping offering their books to libraries through OD, it's possible that OverDrive hasn't looked to expand Kindle lending. We really don't what or where any holdups might be...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
whats a drop dead code?
When you borrow a book with a time limited loan period, I refer to that as a dropdead code. If you remove DRM, you also remove that time limit. I should have made that clearer.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-06-2018 at 04:14 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlespine View Post
Thanks so much for your response! I followed your instructions and got everything to work. Unfortunately it is necessary to remove DRM, so it's shady at best and I'm fairly certain illegal. I borrowed a book that I already own to assuage my guilt. I spent so much time setting everything up I had to test it. Pretty slick. I'm not sure I will be using this method in the future. I just wish Amazon would play ball with OverDrive here in Canada. So much easier to read on Kindle than iPhone.
The explanation I was once given is that since the loans are done from Amazon and not from the libraries servers, Canadian libraries are not happy with the lack of privacy. For the most part, Canadian libraries operate on the basis that the only way to find out what books have been borrowed by a patron is to show up with a court order for that patron's loans records. This is pretty much mandated under Canadian privacy laws.

Add this to the cost of Kindle loans which is not insignificant.

Your guess is as good as mine to which of the two is the most compelling for libraries.

As long as you remove the books from your library when the loan period expires, it's unlikely you will be seeing any consequences. The problem for me is that I know I will find myself justifying keeping the book for a bit longer in case I want to re-read it or whatever other excuse I come up with. Since I use a ereader that handles epub, it's much easier for me not to start down that path. For you with a need for Kindle format books, it's going to be up to you and a much harder decision than it was for me. One friend of mine had the same issue and his solution is to delete the books from his library when the loan period expires on his computer. So far, he's been sticking to that solution. If the book is good enough he'll want to own it, he purchases a copy.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #30
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you borrow a book with a time limited loan period, I refer to that as a dropdead code. If you remove DRM, you also remove that time limit. I should have made that clearer.
thank you, i read non drm (and purchased) once loaded through calibre. Library books i put on throug ADE and then send back once read
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acsm, convert acsm to epub, epub, kindle, overdrive