Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
projectdp
projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wireless (k3w)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@projectdp: I see a gnueabihf in your TC tuple... The hardfloat ABI is a bad idea when targeting the Kindle. Use a softfp TC.

(It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the issue at hand, but it'll save you some potential issues later on).
Oh sorry if this isn't clear, I'm compiling this on the Raspberry Pi. I wanted to use KindleVNC to display aaquake2 playing on the Pi.
projectdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdp View Post
Appreciate the help! Still though when I go to

~/asciiportal/PDCurses-3.4/sdl1 and do a make, I get the following error:

Code:
gcc -O2 -Wall -I..  -o firework ../demos/firework.c libpdcurses.a -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: libpdcurses.a(initscr.o)(.text+0x320): unresolvable R_ARM_ABS32 relocation against symbol `ttytype'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [firework] Error 1
Which is very similar to the error I was receiving earlier.
http://people.defora.org/~khorben/place/blog/8

mentions this type of error in clibs on arm.
he also talks about digging into the errors originating code, which would no doubt help. It's beyond my skills.

I assume you have all the relevant kernel symbols in your keychain, although again I am not sure if that is even related to the issue. sorry mate
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

he also talks about digging into the errors originating code, which would no doubt help. It's beyond my skills.

I assume you have all the relevant kernel symbols in your keychain, although again I am not sure if that is even related to the issue. sorry mate
-fPIC

And why does that line show an unadorned "gcc" -
Are you native compiling this thing?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@projectdp: Oh, right, missed that, sorry .

Then, yes, +1 on knc1 answer: build the *library* in PIC mode. (If it's using a decent buildsystem, there's a switch, if not, carefully messing around with the *PIC flags).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #35
projectdp
projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wireless (k3w)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

I'm not sure that it's safe to assume that all the relevant kernel symbols are in my keychain -- I don't even know what that means. You guys know way more about this, why am I so ignorant of all these things!? I'll do my homework.

Thanks for your efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
-fPIC

And why does that line show an unadorned "gcc" -
Are you native compiling this thing?
I'll give that a shot.

1: I don't know, what is unadorned about the gcc line?
2: Yes I'm native compiling.

Sure appreciate the help

Quote:
@projectdp: Oh, right, missed that, sorry .

Then, yes, +1 on knc1 answer: build the *library* in PIC mode. (If it's using a decent buildsystem, there's a switch, if not, carefully messing around with the *PIC flags).
Ok awesome I'll try that.
Thanks NiLuJe
projectdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #36
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

unadorned "gcc" -

as opposed to /opt/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabi-2012.04-20120426_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc
(Linaro K5)

or

/opt/arm-2007q3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
(Code Sourcery K3)

native compile = build for the machine you are running build on

cross compile = build for a different target.

gcc -o foo blar.c would build a windows executable on a window box, linux on a linux

arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -o foo blar.c would build a kindle-ready one, on both.

Have a read up on the general principles of x-compiling : ) but that's the gist of it : )

(pictures, kindle 5 and 3 TC's)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_037.png
Views:	257
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	93234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_038.png
Views:	265
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	93235  

Last edited by twobob; 10-02-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added both machines to make the point.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Cross Make Example

This is only an example of statements you may find in a Makefile intended to be used for both cross-compiles and native-compiles:
PHP Code:
AS      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)as
LD      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
CC      
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
CPP     
= $(CC) -E
AR      
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
NM      
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)nm
STRIP   
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)strip
OBJCOPY 
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)objcopy
OBJDUMP 
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)objdump
RANLIB  
= $(CROSS_COMPILE)RANLIB 
After which, in the Makefile, all references to the toolchain take the symbolic form of:
$(AS)

So in twobob's example path to the ARM cross-compiler, if the Makefile is called with:
PHP Code:
CROSS_COMPILE='arm-linux-gnueabi-' 
set in its envronment, then $(AS) will be: arm-linux-gnueabi-as

If CROSS_COMPILE is not set (or an empty string), then $(AS) will be: as

The 'unadorned' name for the host machine's assembler.

In other words, your #2 answered your #1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #38
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Saw it on hackaday, too, but fun project And nice to see it in a 'final' stage .

If only we had working OTG support, the K4/Touch provides mostly the same (or better) processing power as the Pi, minus the graphics chip .
I was thinking the same, and it seems progress is being made: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=139
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
twobob

I already have that code in GIT.

needs porting is "all"

time allowing
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #40
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Touch
Amazing work !
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote