Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
projectdp
projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wireless (k3w)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Stupid question:

Would aalib for the 3 give you the possibility of emulating a graphics-aware screen

It's available built for the 3 and seeing someone hack together say... aalib quake? would be mighty impressive

just a thought.

http://www.jfedor.org/aaquake2/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAlib
Holy crap I am doing this.
projectdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
nice

I have aalib built for the 3 if you need...

might be better running it on a pi though

Last edited by twobob; 09-29-2012 at 10:26 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Better Hurry up. we might beat you to it lol.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
projectdp
projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well I'm pretty bummed. I tried compiling it and I got lots of errors. I'm not really sure what's wrong I forgot the messages but I will post them tomorrow for you. Wonder if anyone could help me troubleshoot this, I'm not quite sure why it isn't compiling well.

If anyone is available to chat in real time or anything please let me know by message or what have you.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
twobob

okay.. better to see what the exact errors were.

aalib http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/
definitely x-compiles okay. doubtful you mean that.

aaquake2 http://www.jfedor.org/aaquake2/

http://www.bluesnews.com/files/idstu...rce-3.21.shtml

Following roughly those instructions (for about 5 mins) I get

Quote:
../linux/sys_linux.c: In function ‘Sys_GetGameAPI’:
../linux/sys_linux.c:227:2: error: #error Unknown arch
../linux/sys_linux.c:238:45: error: ‘gamename’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../linux/sys_linux.c:238:45: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [debugi386/client/sys_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/quake2-3.21/linux'
make: *** [build_debug] Error 2
That sort of thing you mean?

probably needs to have a look in the make file. see what it's complaining about.

EDIT: Hmm.. looks like it is probably

Quote:
ifneq (,$(findstring alpha,$(shell uname -m)))
ARCH=axp
RPMARCH=alpha
else
ARCH=i386
RPMARCH=i386
endif
NOARCH=noarch
The joys of cross compiling ey?

I'm no x-compiling expert sadly but there are some on here (among other places)

I also checked out http://icculus.org/quake2/

http://icculus.org/quake2/#download

IF I had to guess I would say that the target type is missing from the makefile
(looks like someone's mum made it)

Quote:
#
# Quake2 Makefile for Linux 2.0
#
# Nov '97 by Zoid <zoid@idsoftware.com>
#
# ELF only
#
Hope you get your answers. Possibly not an option without re-writing the make(s).
how sad.

So, as a list of possible targets I found SDL, IRIX, i386(Win and Linux) SOLARIS but no mention of ARM, GAH!

still elf is nearly arm... could be done

Last edited by twobob; 10-01-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added target lists
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
People who use `uname ...` in makefiles should be shot!
It is always worth the time to grep anything on-hand for the first time for 'uname'.

Three choices:
Re-write the makefile (and push the changes back to the author) ;
Build it native (either on real hardware or under emulation) ;
Try building it using scratchbox2 (which is intended for these cases and often works).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
@twobob: Would you please share the aalib build?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
projectdp

Quote:
okay.. better to see what the exact errors were.

aalib http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/
definitely x-compiles okay. doubtful you mean that.

aaquake2 http://www.jfedor.org/aaquake2/

http://www.bluesnews.com/files/idstu...rce-3.21.shtml

Following roughly those instructions (for about 5 mins) I get

That sort of thing you mean?

probably needs to have a look in the make file. see what it's complaining about.

EDIT: Hmm.. looks like it is probably

The joys of cross compiling ey?

I'm no x-compiling expert sadly but there are some on here (among other places)

I also checked out http://icculus.org/quake2/

http://icculus.org/quake2/#download

IF I had to guess I would say that the target type is missing from the makefile
(looks like someone's mum made it)

Hope you get your answers. Possibly not an option without re-writing the make(s).
how sad.

So, as a list of possible targets I found SDL, IRIX, i386(Win and Linux) SOLARIS but no mention of ARM, GAH!

still elf is nearly arm... could be done
I tried again and even AA-Lib is failing for me. All due to the ARM:

Code:
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `armv6l-pc-linux-gnu': machine `armv6l-pc' not recognized
I'm really not knowledgeable enough to be rebuilding make files I'd like to do this but I don't even know where to start. I guess learning about cross compiling and deconstructing the way ELF is installing the proper things.

Well I'm going to still make my efforts by spreading this to the pool of Pi users. It's about all I can do at this point...

Thanks for sharing this with me though! I have been keeping this on the down-low but, I also have been having a discussion with the Linux compiler guy from the ASCII Portal game: http://cymonsgames.com/asciiportal/

This might be fun for you guys to work on. I couldn't get this to compile on the Pi earlier, despite his help building a better make file. I still fail installing this PDsomething software. You might have some luck though. If you're interested I can send you the Makefile that he provided me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
People who use `uname ...` in makefiles should be shot!
It is always worth the time to grep anything on-hand for the first time for 'uname'.

Three choices:
Re-write the makefile (and push the changes back to the author) ;
Build it native (either on real hardware or under emulation) ;
Try building it using scratchbox2 (which is intended for these cases and often works).
Thanks for the tip knc1, I might have to try scratchbox2 then. Let me whip up an article and see if I can't get someone to build a nice Makefile for us to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
@twobob: Would you please share the aalib build?
Hi qlob, I also had some issues with acquiring this file this morning. Seemed like sourceforge mirrors were failing. I just retried a few times and it picked it up. Small file too, went fast. Try again if you're still having issues message me.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
twobob

aalib for the 3 (guess maybe I didn't post it?)

sadly I deleted it. Happily I noted the entire instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=106

Which I will henceforth undertake. (already done this for the 5. will retrofit to 3 now)
5 mins All done.

Expects to by linked as outlined at
http://minimodding.com/article9-Kind...ng-custom-apps

Little file contains the stuff for /mnt/us

Big file is the full build folder with sources from BR.

Enjoy.

aafire to test.

Added Screenshots taken via x11vnc (on the 5)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle:0.0 - GVncViewer_006.png
Views:	259
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	93152   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle:0.0 - GVncViewer_007.png
Views:	236
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	93153   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle:0.0 - GVncViewer_008.png
Views:	249
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	93154   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle:0.0 - GVncViewer_009.png
Views:	232
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	93155   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle:0.0 - GVncViewer_010.png
Views:	246
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	93156  
Attached Files
File Type: gz aalib-1.4rc4.tar.gz (1.24 MB, 175 views)
File Type: gz aalib.tar.gz (202.3 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by twobob; 10-01-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: done.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@projectdb : That error line you posted indicates an error in resolving the 4-tuple name.
The second-from-left (vendor == pc) is never a valid consideration, that field is for the vendor's use only.

The only thing that should be tested is the 3-tuple (triplet) made from the 4-tuple less the vendor's field.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
projectdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@projectdb : That error line you posted indicates an error in resolving the 4-tuple name.
The second-from-left (vendor == pc) is never a valid consideration, that field is for the vendor's use only.

The only thing that should be tested is the 3-tuple (triplet) made from the 4-tuple less the vendor's field.
Hi again knc1, I'm not even sure what the implications are regarding what you just said about the tuples and testing. Does this mean that I need to smooth the 4-tuple into a 3-tuple, eliminating the vendor field? If so I'm absolutely clueless about how to do so.

I wrote a small article here regarding my limited attempts, spent more time writing on ASCIIpOrtal though: http://wp.me/p2k10-21

Let me know if you guys have any ideas
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Sorry, just my way of agreeing with you that there are errors associated with cross-compiling in that Makefile.

See if the "new" one the author sent you puts out the same error message.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
twobob

Quote:
# Makefile by kaw

# Requires PDCSDL, set PDCSDLDIR to point to a compiled version.

PDCSVER=3.4
PDCSDLDIR = ./PDCurses-$(PDCSVER)

PACKAGENAME = asciiportal-linux64
WINDOWSZIP = asciiportal.zip
and that folder is not there...
possibly referring to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdcurses/files/

Quote:
bas89
January 17th, 2010 - 8:06 am
How do I get that sdl1/pdcsdl.h ? I searched for it using “yum provides” but I can’t find a package which provides it. libsdl-dev and libsdl-mixer-dev is installed.

Joe
January 17th, 2010 - 10:16 am
It’s in PDCurses. Download http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/ and you have to compile the sdl1 directory yourself.
well there you go.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
projectdp

Quote:
well there you go.
Appreciate the help! Still though when I go to

~/asciiportal/PDCurses-3.4/sdl1 and do a make, I get the following error:

Code:
gcc -O2 -Wall -I..  -o firework ../demos/firework.c libpdcurses.a -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: libpdcurses.a(initscr.o)(.text+0x320): unresolvable R_ARM_ABS32 relocation against symbol `ttytype'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [firework] Error 1
Which is very similar to the error I was receiving earlier.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@projectdp: I see a gnueabihf in your TC tuple... The hardfloat ABI is a bad idea when targeting the Kindle. Use a softfp TC.

(It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the issue at hand, but it'll save you some potential issues later on).
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote