Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
drlolly
drlolly began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Question I am so confused!!

Hi, I am just a baby when it comes to working out this iliad. I thought I needed a CF card, so I bought a 4GB sony one. Unfortunately, I found out that my PC doesn't have a CF card slot. Anyway, I thought of putting the books on there right from the start so I wouldn't use up all the internal memory. That didn't work....
So I reset the button thing on the back. That didn't reset anything....
Then I tried to move files around. Can't do that either.
How can i move files, books around ?
How can I delete files from download history as they don't work. If I keep everything in internal memory, things are ok. Is it meant to be this hard?
I know a little about computers, but I am stumped here!!
I think I need iliad classes. Such a thing?
Many thanks:
drlolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
You can use your iLiad as a CF card reader.
In the 3rd page of the iLiad settings, set it to export the CF card via USB, instead of the internal memory.
This way you can access the CF card (instead of the internal memory) via the iLiad's USB connection.

On that same page you can change the Archive locations from internal memory to CF card.
Note, however, that this only changes where your iLiad looks for the news/books/documents and notes, it doesn't move any files that are already in place.

To move files you could install and use the emelFM2 file manager, but considering your experience this might be a bit too complicated for now.
The easiest way is probably to connect your iLiad via USB and use any file manager on your computer.
That way you can move files around on the memory that is exported via the iLiad's USB connection.

If you want to move files between, say internal memory and the CF card, I recommend the following procedure:
Set the iLiad to export internal memory via USB.
Hook it up to your computer and move the files from the iLiad to your computer.
Set the iLiad to export the CF card via USB.
Hook it up to your computer again and move the files from your computer to the iLiad.
It's a bit involved, but you only have to do it once. After that you just keep on using the CF card only.

Oh, the reset switch gave me some problems at first too.
It does work, but it just doesn't show it.
Remember that the image on the E-ink display stays on until it is updated by the iLiad.
If you reset the iLiad, it is basically turned off, so it no longer updates the display and you are left with whatever image was on there when you hit the reset button.
So after a reset you should use the power button to turn the iLiad back on, and it will start normally.

I hope this helps a bit.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
drlolly
drlolly began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thanks Martijn, I will try this tomo as I have been on it all day trying things. Many thanks for the simple explanations. It helps.
drlolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
rai
Enthusiast
rai began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onxy Boox M92
I was wondering if there is a particular reason for why is not possible to see more than one drive when I'm connected to PC via USB? Isn't it possible to make something so you can have connected both internal memory via USB and internal memory via MMC/CF/etc at the same time? For example, when I connect my mp3 player to PC via USB I can see simultaneously internal drive of mp3 device and SD card I have in it (which is displayed as external storage). So, I was wondering if I can get this with iLiad too?
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
@rai: I think it is something to do with the way the filesystem is exported (not something I really understand very well). An alternative this is now possible is to install samba on the iliad and then have both the internal and USB/CF/mmc memories shared. Setting this up is not too hard, but might be rather unfamiliar for those who are new to linux.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I was wondering if there is a particular reason for why is not possible to see more than one drive when I'm connected to PC via USB?
I don't think there is a technical reason why not. IRex just has not programmed it that way. Exporting all the external media at once might be problematic, but always exporting the internal memory and one other (selected) type would be a big help. The Kindle does this for example, although it only has one kind of external memory. One issue might be the interaction with Windows MobiPocket Reader, which needs to know where to export e-books too on the iLiad, but I don't see that as insurmountable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote