Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #91
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Anyone compared this to a PRS650 ?
Being in Europe, we'll have to wait a bit anyway - and at £330 it's a good bit dearer, but has wifi which the possible recipient would be impressed with on birthday.
And, it's a hell of a lot more than the kindle, so pitched against that, looks incedibly expensive, but has the bigger screen (is that corner to corner, by the way, like TV measurements ?).
And is it plastic-cased - couldn't see anything in the spec's on a quick read thru.
BUT that stylus, and no finger use ? Hope they've learnt from Sony and made it a) from titanium and b) tethered it somehow !!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #92
Siedler
Siedler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
I think the refresh time will be much better when the final version is ready.
It strikes me that the startup of the Kindle DX takes really long!
Yeah the startup time is certainly nice but to me it's so important like the boot time of my computer compared to its performance: almost not at all.

I was just asking because I saw this "problem" in this (older) video, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyT44GeNgk
And I wonder why they should present a device with such a? obvious disadvantage at an exhibition if it could have been fixed easily which it shall be because the thing is supposed to be released in some weeks...

But apart from that it looks very promising to me as student often reading scripts, need to take some notes etc., so I hope you're right. Just some more questions:

- Is the E-Ink Pearl display the same as the displays used in the Sonys and Kindles?
- Is the release date also true of Germany?
- Will there be a possibility to develop own applications?
Siedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #93
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
That video makes me hold the order of a M90 uintil I see a final release and the loading times of books and change pages.

ffs, my DR1000S is faster and uses vizplex no pearl and with a slower processor. The DX slaps in the face so hard M90 even with their limited pdf support.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #94
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siedler View Post
- Is the E-Ink Pearl display the same as the displays used in the Sonys and Kindles?
- Is the release date also true of Germany?
- Will there be a possibility to develop own applications?
- I don't have the information yet, but Sony doesn't have a 9.7 inch ereader
- What release date and webshop are you referring to ?
- Yes, the SDK will be online soon here so you can make your own applications.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #95
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
- What release date and webshop are you referring to ?
onyx-boox.com; May 15;

Last edited by hakim; 04-19-2011 at 06:00 AM.
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #96
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
onyx-boox.com; May 15;
Yes it's true, we try to ship every order the day we receive the Onyx Boox M-series.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #97
Siedler
Siedler began at the beginning.

Quote:
- I don't have the information yet, but Sony doesn't have a 9.7 inch ereader
I didn't mean the size of the display but the type (Pearl/Vizplex), i.e. contrast, refresh time etc.
Siedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #98
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siedler View Post
I didn't mean the size of the display but the type (Pearl/Vizplex), i.e. contrast, refresh time etc.
It's EPD Pearl with a contrast ratio of 12:1 and a response time of 600ms. I don't know what the specs of the DX and Sony are.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #99
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Check out our Facebook Page with lots of pictures and LIKE us!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #100
sndstaff
sndstaff began at the beginning.

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing the M90 boox e-reader in the US. Are there any suppliers within the US? If so, does anybody know anything about delivery dates?

On a different note: I am interested in this device mainly for foreign language learning. Reading threads about the A60, I have seen that many users added stardict dictionaries. Does anybody know if this is also possible with the M90?

Another dictionary related issue is whether one can search on the dictionary by simply selecting or tapping on a word.

Thanks in advance.
sndstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #101
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Yes- we expect the M90 to be in the States in the latter part of the 1st week of May.
Yes- add which ever dictionaries you like
Yes- with the caveat that you must first select dictionary, then select a word. the dictionary is not always "on"
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #102
sndstaff
sndstaff began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yes- with the caveat that you must first select dictionary, then select a word. the dictionary is not always "on"
Is Onyx planning to improve this?
sndstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #103
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
can't speak for the programmers.

but when you touch the display with the stylus how is the device supposed to know if you want to

a. turn the page
b. highlight a word/phrase
c. select a word for dictionary look up
d. write/erase on the page
e. select an area for zooming
f. scroll up/down or pan around

something has to be "on" by default leaving the rest selectable.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #104
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
From the specs page:
Quote:
Supported text formats: ePub, PDF (both DRM), TXT, HTML, CHM, PDB, FB2, DJVU, MS Word (.doc), MS Excel (.xls), MS Powerpoint (.ppt)
How good is its DJVU and CHM support? (That is, does it support TOC and search in DJVU files?)

How do you operate the dictionary (select or type words) on the non-touchscreen devices?

Page turning performance aside, if this device really supports all these file formats, it definitely looks like a Kindle DX killer to me. Although I would like to see the performance of the 800Mhz non-touchscreen device compared to the KDX.

Last edited by Caleb666; 04-22-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #105
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
Cool

I'm interested too into the performance issues and format support (PDF and CHM).
The M90 seems to be the ebook reader I was waiting since the day I subscribed to this forum X)
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90